38. femme fatale

Three chapter update! 36, 37, 38.

***

AS predicted, Gabby fit in perfectly with Marley's new friends. She also found a kindred, socially awkward spirit in Ayla, and the two girls clicked instantly.

It was a girls takeover of Aiden's apartment before the parties, so he and Leo dressed in their suits, left their ties in their pockets and their jackets over their arms raised in surrender as Ellie booted them out to meet up with Austin, Greyson, and a couple others from the team, before they'd circle back around to pick them up.

Though there would be a party for the football team in full swing, Austin, Aiden, Leo, Greyson Ellie, Ayla, and Gabby would be attending the faculty Old Hollywood party first to support Marley. She promised that wasn't necessary, but they insisted, and Ellie was excited to 'channel her inner Gilda', a classic femme fatale. Ayla was going to make the perfect Holly Golightly, and Gabby's haircut prepared her for her debut as Daisy Buchanan.

Marley didn't have to consider for long who she wanted to be. She and Aiden had gotten into old movies after watching a couple for their shared Film elective, and Pretty Woman was one of her favourites. Vivian Ward was a bold choice for her, and she could never live up to the character, but she bought a red dress and Ellie could curl her hair. The overall look would fit Old Hollywood, at the very least.

The girls were ready a few minutes before the arranged pickup time of six, their jackets on, purses attached. Marley adorned Vivian's signature white glove look, her camera around her neck. Since they were all in heels, despite some hesitation on Marley, Gabby and Ayla's part, Ellie's clicked loudly on the floor as she paced when the clock struck 6:01.

"That fucking loser-" Ellie paused in her cussing of Austin, the three of them straining to hear the muffled voices outside the door.

They approached silently and together until they could make out what was being said.

"You realize that girl in there is going to chop my goddamn dick off, right? We're late but we've been standing here for three minutes. Why. Why the fuck would you do this to me?" Austin.

"It's for a reason. Just give me another minute." Aiden.

"I don't feel great doing this. Ayla doesn't deserve-okay. Sorry. All good, man." Greyson.

"Grow a pair, dude. Jesus. Matthews, what the fuck? Standing up your girl? After she just-alright! Alright! No need to be violent."Leo.

"God, there's no way I'm getting laid now." Austin.

The lightbulb went off in Marley's head just as a knock sounded at the door at 6:03. She couldn't help her smile as she whipped it open for her boyfriend. He was a heartbreaking sight in his perfectly tailored suit, leaning against the door with a matching grin.

Waiting.

She smiled even wider. "You're late."

He bit his lip, lowering his eyes to scan her over. "You're stunning."

"You're forgiven," she breathed.

"Oh my god. That was what that whole thing was about? You two are so cheese, dude," Austin commented as their bubble broke, and the boys bustled in. "Damn. You're hot, babe." He grinned at Ellie, who just wrinkled her nose and shoved him off.

"Maybe you should take some notes, Johnson. God knows you don't have a romantic bone in your body. You two are so sweet," Ellie reassured, sighing dreamily as Aiden wrapped his arm around her, kissing her temple.