43. he can't

Five chapter update! Chapter 40, 41, 42, 43, 44.

-

EVERY month brought a new level of cold Marley had never experienced before in California. November brought a chill that wouldn't disappear no matter how many layers Marley wore. It didn't help that she had officially moved back into her dorm with Ellie, and no longer had a very warm-blooded man wrapped around her every night.

Gabby returned to Yale early Monday morning after the camp out, and would be visiting next for Marley's planned Thanksgiving dinner with as many of her family and friends as could attend. Leo decided to stay in Providence with Aiden until after Thanksgiving, much to Aiden's chagrin. Mostly due to the fact that he'd have to leave his best friend to his own devices in his apartment when they left for a few days for their one year anniversary trip over reading week.

A few days was all they could spare with Aiden's football schedule, but Aiden insisted it would be worth it to get away to this mysterious destination Marley is still clueless about. She's given up trying to get so much as a hint from him; he's truly not budging. To keep up the surprise, he even insisted on packing her suitcase — aside from her undergarments, which she demanded she do herself. He looked disappointed until she threw a pillow at his face and couldn't see the look on it at all.

Not that she's seen his face much lately, anyway. Between Marley's therapy and work, she and Aiden's classes, labs and mandated study groups, and Aiden's football, they had enough of a challenge seeing each other when they lived together. Now they were returning to occasional texts and calls as the new normal, with Leo somehow always in the room whenever they had a second alone in Aiden's apartment.

Marley could tell her boyfriend was getting fed up with their lack of intimate time together, and had to save Leo from certain death several times over the last week. She could admit she felt the same frustration given her new state of wanting to jump him all the time, but she had a feeling she wouldn't be waiting for much longer. Whenever she and Aiden discussed their trip, there was an air of longing, of tension, and anticipation. A silent agreement had passed between them that this trip would be memorable for more reasons than the fact that it's their one year anniversary. This led to a lengthy call with her best friend for advice and preparation purposes, so Marley felt ready in more ways than one. Still, if she let her mind linger to it in quiet moments, she felt equal parts anxious and exhilarated. Marley wouldn't admit this to Aiden, but she was glad for this brief time away from him to come to terms with this impending change in their relationship. She was definitely making a bigger deal of it than she should, and was overthinking, but she couldn't help her nature.

Aiden had always claimed that exercise helped clear his head, so Marley was looking forward to testing that theory out today. She and Ayla decided to start accompanying Ellie on her afternoon workout at the campus gym, so after their classes were over she and Ellie changed into workout clothes and met up with Ayla before walking over together.

"I can't believe your boyfriend makes captain tomorrow," Ellie nudged Marley with her elbow from her right.

Ayla's head popped up from her left. "We don't know that for sure."

Tomorrow was the official team vote for who would become the new captain. Of course, the coaching staff had the final say, but Coach Langston made it clear to the team that he would be taking their elected leader seriously.

"I did see support for Aiden at the campout," Marley said. "But he thinks it will be a senior."

"I talked to Austin," Ellie interjected. "And he says most of the team want it to be Aiden. Apparently," she stopped walking briefly, so Marley and Ayla followed suit. "he defended his teammates and took the brunt of the hazing."