42. a vote

Five chapter update! Chapter 40, 41, 42, 43, 44.

-

Aiden Matthews: I miss you already.

Aiden Matthews: There better have been more than a Speedo.

Marley rolled her eyes and smiled to herself as she reassured her boyfriend via text that yes, the men's swim team captain was fully dressed for their interview this morning. She conveniently left out that fact that he was dressed like the British gentleman he is, accent and all, and that she was dazzled by his smile every time he flashed it. It's true that Marley is very solid in her lifetime commitment to a certain blue-eyed caveman, but she simply couldn't help the heat rising to her cheeks at the sight of a handsome British man giving her his undivided attention.

He looked like he had just walked out of a shoot for Vogue UK, for Pete's sake.

However, if Aiden Matthews found out that a British supermodel swimmer just so happened to make his girlfriend swoon with a well-timed joke and a charming laugh, two people would be in deep, deep trouble.

Some things are better left unspoken.

When Marley left Common Ground after her shift, she was shocked to see Gabby and Leo bickering outside, clearly waiting for her. Her eyebrow was raised as she approached them, considering they had visited her earlier today, but left the coffee shop hours ago.

"Matthews texted me to escort you home or else, and I quote, I'll kick my boot so far up your ass you'll taste the leather."

Marley rolled her eyes. How many times does she have to tell that caveman she can walk home herself? "I would never let him do that, and I can handle walking on my own."

"I get more time with my best friend," Gabby looped an arm through Marley's. "I have no complaints."

Marley grinned at Gabby but it was fading quickly when Leo shoved himself between them and looped both their arms through both of his. "Let's go home and gossip about boys and paint our nails, girlfriends!"

Marley and Gabby both stared at him like he was insane. "Leo, this is a girls night. For girls," Gabby emphasized calmly. "Mar and I barely get to spend time together anymore. We wanted it to be just us."

Marley watched Leo appear unaffected by the blatant rejection, but she couldn't help but wince, her heart aching for him. She's still convinced that he's lonely, and his around-the-world travels have done nothing to help his feelings of being lost. His own best friend, Aiden, doesn't seem to be as concerned but Marley can't help the urge to include him in their activities tonight because they are his tribe, and he belongs with them.

Even if Gabby may want to kill her for this.

"Gab it's..." Marley shrunk at the glare she was instantly receiving. "It's okay," she squeaked. "Leo is welcome to join in on a girls night as long as he behaves himself. It'll be fun!"

"It would be more fun if we could go out..." Leo trailed off in a grumble, yelping when Marley kicked his shin. "But okay! Fine! Girls night in it is! Jesus sis, no need to get violent."

Marley leaned in to warn him after sparing a glance at her best friend's disappointed expression. "You better not give me any reason to be violent tonight, Leo Kahn."