12. the elephant

"FEELING better about everything now?" Aiden tucked her hair behind her ear after they pulled away from each other.

Marley fiddled her fingers in her lap. "Well, once we talk about everything I will..."

Her boyfriend sighed. "I'm guessing your conversation with your roommate wasn't just a conversation?"

Marley peeked up at him apprehensively. "How'd you know?"

"Because you can't help yourself. You're a fixer, spitfire. And I love you for that. But..."

"But..." Marley added, wrapping her arms around his neck, "I should stop coddling and babying my big, strong, capable boyfriend who can fight his own battles?"

He leaned in with a cute little smirk, humming in agreement, "Yes. And until further notice you will be calling me your big, strong, capable boyfriend. Emphasis on the big-"

Marley blushed a little, smacking his arm, "Aiden Matthews!"

He laughed shortly and caught her wrists, holding her hostage to his chest. "Marley. The team isn't your responsibility. And it isn't your fault. You need to let me decide how I want to handle it."

"I know." She laid her head on his shoulder. "I'm just the one with the hackles up this time."

"Must've been a very...controversial plan you two made if you felt like you needed backup just to tell me." When Marley's eyes lifted, Aiden's was taking advantage of their current position to peek into the top of her shirt. Marley gained some distance from him to give less of a view but didn't scold him for it -- she very well knew what she was signing up for.

"It wasn't awful in theory," Marley admitted. "And it probably would've done wonders for you with the team. But the outfit is because outside of theory it's...well it's revolved around changes to our relationship you wouldn't have liked."

Aiden scooted them further backwards on her bed, parting his legs so she was more comfortable between them, reaching for the pizza box. His expression was neutral, but curious. Marley lifted a hand to brush a stray strand of his dark hair away from his forehead while he finally lifted the ban on the Yelp-rated best pizza in Providence, Rhode Island.

She took a bite of the goodness before diving into a bit of a sour story. "Ellie said we'd need to create our own identities with your team. Aka you'd be showing up at team parties and I'd be showing up at different parties on different nights, with the squad. I'd have to bond with Payton..." Marley shivered a little at the idea of that. There is a reason why a carefully thought out plan went to sleep easy. "And we'd have to be...strategic about our public couple stuff. Like holding hands or kissing...or acknowledging each other."

Aiden swallowed his bite. Marley was nervous about looking away from her slice but her tense body relaxed when she dared herself to face him. He seemed unbothered.

"Whether or not you decided to be honest with me or try to convince me of the plan first doesn't matter. Sexy outfit or not. I would've said no. So it doesn't matter now."

That sure was blunt. Marley lowered her pizza, feeling defensive. "But again, in theory-"

"In theory, it involves you going to college parties alone with girls you barely know, barely know if you can trust. It involves me going to parties with the team like I've already said I didn't want to go to. And it involves us...what...acting like we're not together? How is that better for anyone?"

Marley slowly set down her pizza. Aiden's words had hardened the longer he spoke, raising in hostility she didn't appreciate given her intentions. "When you put it that way it doesn't sound fair or better for anyone. But Aiden, I was just trying to help. I don't like that you're being treated so terribly by your own team. It upsets me. I want you to be happy here, and if there is anything I can do I want to do it."