Chapter 3: Care Beneath The Crown

I was standing right outside the massive doors. I took a deep breath, relishing the crisp early autumn air. The midday sun shone down on my face from its perch in the sky. My arms expanded joyfully, my left wing following and stretching to its utmost while my right wing remained folded. I lingered for a while before folding back my wing and dropping my arms. My eyes swept the scene, observing the gushing river that was running fast beneath the arched stone bridge that I was on, promising to be icy cold this time of the year.

My feathered companion decided to fly off my shoulder then. It tweeted a few times and spun around in front of my face, causing me to giggle. I extended my left hand for it, which instantly settled on my index finger. Singing a beautiful melody, it tilted its head and looked at me expectantly. It fluffed its feathers as I lovingly stretched out to stroke its chest.

"I'm afraid I won't be able to join you, my friend. But I promise that one day we shall soar into the skies together."

The small bird let out a saddened chirp and rubbed its head against my finger for a few seconds before lifting off and flying towards the woods. I followed it with my eyes silently until I couldn't anymore. My wing twitched as I wanted to follow my new companion, but I couldn't. My heart was filled with sorrow and despair as I kept my gaze fixed on the woods, watching the few animals and birds that appeared from time to time. Right then, I felt a soft touch on my shoulder. When I turned around, I spotted Nestriel's kind smile. I gazed into her eyes for a couple of seconds before returning the smile.

Everything is going to be alright.

I walked closer to the trees with Nestriel at my side, but we never lost sight of the doors. Given the state of my right wing, it was difficult for me to sit on the ground, so we spotted large boulders near the river and chose to sit there. The day flew by as we spoke about, well, everything. My primary concerns were: how was life in the Elvenking's Halls, and what did she do on a daily basis? And hers were largely centred on my wings and my simple way of living. As I heard someone approaching, the sun had already set behind the trees, and the light was gradually giving way to night.

"I know two elf Lords who would be extremely upset if they realized you are out in the cold." As Nestriel instantly rose from her seat next to mine, I remained seated, smiling up at the ellon who stood a little further away from us. He was dressed in a gleaming silver armour over a dark green tunic; his quiver was half full; and his golden hair was somewhat ruffled. I figured he was returning from patrol. I noticed a few elf archers walking across the stone bridge and into the palace. "But, judging by how your wing is covering you, they must be plenty to keep you warm."

"You are correct, Prince Legolas. My wings are keeping me quite warm, and your adar and Lord Elrond are aware that I am outside." I paused for a while to glance up at the sky, softly pouting. "Of course, it was midday when I notified them. It is strange how quickly time passes when you are in good company." I smiled at Nestriel, and she returned my smile with a beaming one of her own. I was certain I had made a lifelong friend.

Legolas chuckled and nodded knowingly. "I am certain. But it is becoming late, and the air is getting cold. I would assume that someone in your condition must be located within the palace, resting." He moved forward a few steps and extended his hand to me. "May I accompany you to your room?"

"Are you worried that I might run away, dear Prince?" I responded, raising an eyebrow. I reached out and grasped his hand, smiling as I allowed him to pull me up.

"Certainly not, my Lady." He paused for a beat before grinning. "Maybe a tad."

I let out a melodic laugh and decided to link my arm with his. The surprised look he gave quickly got replaced by a pleased smile. "Then fear not. Those notions don't even cross my mind." I gave a quick glance to my right wing. "At least not until my wing is fully healed."