Chapter 9: Shadows in the Green Forest

When I got close to the collected group of armoured elves, I noticed Feren holding the reins of a black horse. I walked near my Captain and turned to face him. He gave me a long, thoughtful look before nodding in approval.

He offered me the reins of the black horse and added, "We are leaving the moment you are ready." I did not take the bridle; instead, I peered into the horse's brown eyes and reached out to pet its nose before turning to face Feren.

If you do not mind, I would like to ride alongside you. I would like to fly back to the palace after we are done. I turned around and peered up through the open gates towards the sky. "It would be a shame not to fly on such a night."

Feren turned his attention from the horse to me. He contemplated it in silence before nodding. "Very well," he said, motioning for the nearest guard, who hastened to take the reins. You must be unable to fly across the trees, correct? He circled back and walked me over to his horse.

"I am afraid not. There is not enough room for me to stretch my wings open, let alone utilise them to fly through the dense forest."

When we arrived near his brown horse, he hoisted himself up before offering me his hand. I took it and climbed up to sit behind him on the horse. My wings opened wide before closing as I adjusted myself. I moved and placed my hands on his waist as my eyes looked around. Seeing that their Captain was ready to depart, every other soldier swiftly mounted up their horses.

Feren did not say a word. He only gave a firm nod and ordered his horse to move. As we passed the open gates, the other soldiers followed suit. We swiftly passed the stone bridge and started to follow the elven road. I had to lean to the side to be able to see where we were heading because Feren was taller than me. Of course, he was not as tall as Thranduil, but his height was enough to block the wind.

Seconds turned into minutes, and minutes turned into half an hour. As we passed the trees and ventured deeper into the forest, I observed that the trees were looking unwell, and their shadows were growing bigger and bigger. The light of the stars was barely reaching the forest floor. I narrowed my eyes; something was off... My wings slightly opened while I held onto Feren tighter. I leaned in closer to him to be able to whisper in his ear.

"The shadows grow bigger, and the trees are looking sick. We must be cautious. I feel something evil lurking in this place."

Feren glanced back at me before giving a nod. He raised his hand and signalled the other riders as they slowed their horses to a trotting pace.

"Do you sense anything unusual?" He asked in a whisper.

"Does being surrounded by darkness count..?" I mumbled lightly, my eyes scanning the surrounding trees around us.

Feren silently hummed before turning to look in front of him once again. A tense silence fell over the group; everyone was on edge. I felt a shiver shake my body, and my eyes darted towards a tree on our right. I narrowed my eyes lightly to be able to see if there was something there or not, only to be welcomed by eight black, glowing dots.

"Tiro! (Look out!)" I managed to yell before the spider jumped on one of the riders. I drew my swords and stood on my feet on top of Feren's horse.

"Sy telir! Berio idh rych! (They're coming! Protect the horses!)" Feren quickly ordered his riders as they got ready for battle. Some dismounted, while some drew their swords and some their bows. I turned around and flapped my wings while jumping up in the air.

Using the momentum from my jump as well as my wings, I landed on the spider, which had collided with one of the riders and caused him to fall to the ground with the spider on top of him. It was trying to bite the elven soldier under it. With a swift movement, I stabbed it in the head, killing it on the spot. I quickly jumped on the ground and helped the elf come out from under the heavy, big creature. He gave me a firm nod as a thank you before grabbing his bow and starting to release arrow after arrow at the incoming spiders.