Chapter 11: The Picnic

Days transformed into weeks, and weeks into months. There were no further spider assaults over the winter. As I began to instruct Elvenking's army and Legolas taught me how to utilise a bow more effectively, my life began to fall into order. Although I was still a little clumsy while flying, I was clearly getting better.

I was now well-known to everyone. I initially assumed that they would oppose my decision to stay here. I questioned whether they even acknowledged me as an elf, considering I was foreign to them. I was expecting the new trainees to object to Faelion, who was positioned next to me, and ask for an alternate instructor after I introduced myself to them. I was so anxious that I was having trouble keeping my wings at ease. But all my worries disappeared the minute a trainee approached me to thank me...

~~~~

"My Lady...?"

I turned around to see a young elleth with auburn hair looking at me with big amber eyes that showed admiration and... gratitude?

"Yes?" I softly asked. The elf fidgeted on her spot for a few moments before taking a deep breath and puffing up her chest.

"I-I wanted to thank you a-and say that I would be honoured to be trained by you."

I blinked in surprise, tilting my head lightly while my wings fluttered, making the elleth look at them in wonder.

"I apologise for my confusion, young one. But I do not recall meeting with you before. May I inquire as to why you are thanking me?"

Her eyes grew wide as she quickly lowered her head, panicking lightly. "O-oh, my apologies! I did not introduce myself. My name is Meril. I am the younger sister of the guard you have saved."

I blinked once more and let my eyes inspect Meril's features. Then it dawned on me as a big smile formed on my lips.

"I was wondering why you looked so familiar." I gently reached to hold her chin with the side of my index finger and raised it up so I could look into her eyes. "Now I can see the clear resemblance. You look so much like Feona." The elf blushed lightly, giving a timid smile. I returned it with my beaming one and pulled my hand back, continuing, "Feona saved my life by taking the blow for me. It was only fitting that I did my best to save her in return; there is nothing to thank me for. I cannot wait to be your teacher, Meril. I am certain that you will follow in your sister's footsteps and become an amazing warrior."

Her smile was enough to brighten the entire room...

~~~~

Looking back, I could see that my concerns had been unnecessary. Each and every one of my pupils treated me with respect and kindness. I was familiar with all of their names, and I loved each one separately. It was incredible to watch how each of them had evolved over the past few months, and they each had their own distinctive fighting style.

Sadly, I did not get much free time with my new job. However, whenever I had the opportunity, I tried to either be with Thranduil or outside in the woods. Suddenly, I found myself wishing for more free time-or at least for Thranduil to have some. And one of those days was today. But this time, I was determined to get him to relinquish his regal responsibilities. What I had heard back at the training grounds played over and over in my thoughts as I made my way to the Royal Kitchens...

~~~~

I was inspecting Meril's stance when I heard two palace guards that were passing by speak with terrified faces.