Chapter 5: Recovery

The days that followed were relatively uneventful. Every morning when I awoke, I discovered a new pair of garments, each more lovely than the last. And each night, while holding the silver handkerchief, I sang the song that was in my heart. My injuries recovered remarkably quickly. My physical wounds were entirely healed on the third day. And after five days, I had little issue opening and closing my right wing. I was still unable to fly, but my wing was no longer trailing behind me like a dead weight.

Regrettably, my room needed to be cleaned on a regular basis. I happened to create a feather trail in my wake wherever I go. I didn't want to leave my room because of this. Even the thought of dropping a single black feather into the Elvenking's pristine Halls was torturous.

Which made me realise that I haven't seen Thranduil or Legolas in days.

Galion always said he was busy and wished me a good day when I inquired about King Thranduil. Legolas was apparently on duty, checking the border's outer reaches. He would not return for another week. I was disappointed because he didn't bid farewell to me before he went. I began to believe we were developing a friendship. I just hoped that I didn't do anything to upset him.

I woke up from my resting state to a singing Laergal. The need to sleep like mortals have been absent since my wounds have healed. Gaining focus with my eyes, I cautiously climbed out of bed, taking care not to use my wings to disturb any flower pots. My eyes immediately searched the area for any fragments of shattered clay but came up nothing. I kept up my two-day streak! Cheerfully turning around, I spread my wings. By Valar, it brought me great joy to be able to open them both! But the crashing sound I hear from my left side interrupted my joy as the autumn wind blew, causing another pair of my feathers to fall to the floor and be swept towards Greenwood. I sighed gently and shook my head. Thus, my streak of not breaking anything came to an end.

I recalled what I had asked Melessel and dashed into my quarters, the smashed flower pot forgotten in an instant. My eyes were drawn to the bundle of clothing on the surface of the table. With my wings fluttering in excitement, I walked up to it and snatched it without giving it a second thought.

Although the silk was delicate to the touch, I could still feel its durability. It was a piece of armour that had been crafted just for me. Of course calling this an armour would be an overstatement. After all, it looked more like a travelling gear. I wouldn't wear it to a battlefield. Still, it didn't change the fact that it was better than a gown, allowing me to wear knee-high boots and trousers while giving the illusion that I was wearing a dress with its short black skirt. Just enough of the back of it was open for my wings. My arms were left exposed, and the gloves lacked fingers. I squealed with delight and clutched the item of clothing as I flapped my wings, scattering more feathers across the chamber. A feather fell into Laergal's nest, and she cried out in protest. I apologised to my friend by smiling.

"I'm sorry, Laergal. Yet I can't help it! I am very thrilled. I'll be able to hold a sword once more after a week of rest and recovery!"

Laergal chirped a few times before discarding the feather from her nest and going back to it. She resembled a scolding mother attempting to seem grumpy. I knew she was happy for me even though she didn't want to admit it. I giggled towards her and sent her a kiss before hurrying to the bathroom without waiting for Nestriel. If I were to leave my room today, I needed to make sure that the amount of falling feathers was kept to a minimum. And the simplest and most effective way to ensure that was to clean my wings.

I spend a fair amount of time in my pool—yes, I refuse to consider this a bathtub or anything. Nobody can dissuade me from believing that this enormous thing is a pool or a well-spring. I spend my time meticulously washing my feathers and removing those that were on the verge of falling off. My wings appeared healthy, shining, and warm thanks to the new feathers that were already there. When I was through, it wouldn't be exaggerating to state that the pool was filled with feathers.