Chapter 6: Discoveries and Preparation

The two days went by rather swiftly. As I didn't need to rest any longer, I decided to explore the Elvenking's Halls and go for a walk in the woods. Every morning as I walked out of my room, I noticed Thranduil leaving his chambers, accompanied by Galion. We exchanged modest greetings and smiles. It was great to see his smile; it complimented him. Because anytime I saw him strolling on one of the bridges during the day, he always had a stern expression on his face. I realized he only smiled at me in the mornings. That made me feel incredibly unique and pleased.

Galion visited and explained to me what am I to expect at the feast and what I should and should not do. I listened him carefully and took mental notes. The last thing I wanted was to say or do something offensive without knowing. I then requested Melessel to sew me a dress for the occasion. I didn't want it to be overly grand, but I also didn't want to dress up in a regular gown. Something that would complement and highlight my wings.

In the mean time, my explorations of the palace were frequently accompanied by Nestriel and Laergal as we conversed. With every new level I visit I was getting more impressed by how magnificent this place was. Its beauty was slowly but surely enchanting me more and more. I wished I could stay here forever. But I doubt my wild nature would allow me to do something like this...

I had just returned from a stroll outside the palace and was getting ready to see if my gown had arrived, I came to a halt in front of the palace's entrance. I noticed that they haven't closed the doors. Looking at the entrance, I took a step closer, wondering who was arriving or departing. Only to find a golden-haired ellon dismounting from his white horse, wearing shining silver armour and wielding a quiver and bow. I walked forward, a smile on my lips, wanting to greet him.

"Prince Legolas, what a wonderful surprise!"

The prince came to a halt before turning around. His features were covered, seeming remote for some reason. He still offered me a half-smile and slightly bowed his head in my direction. "Lady Gilroval," he replied. He raised one of his eyebrows as he stopped and looked at me. "It is such a relief to see you well and lively. You appear to be in good health."

Itook a step closer to him, my wings widening slightly but not much. "It'sall because of your ada, King Thranduil. I would still be in bed with a brokenwing if he hadn't given me that chamber. I heal more quickly when I'm close tothe sky."

For a fleeting moment, his eyes sparkled with realization, as if he had just revealed the Arda's greatest mystery. As an ellon arrived to take his horse away, his smile turned sincere, moving in front of me. "I see. And may I inquire as to the state of your wing? Are you able to fly?"

I let out a gentle sigh and spread my right wing wide, attracting the attention of some bystanders as well as Legolas, who examined it with wonder and admiration. "I can feel the muscles healing, and I can open and close my wing easily." I leaned up close to him, a childlike smile on my face. "I even made it from the Royal Chambers to the Training Grounds by gliding." He blinked, surprised and amused. "However, I am unsure if my wings are prepared to lift me into the air. I don't want to take the chance of falling and causing them injury again."

He made a deep hum and once again regarded my open wing before indicating the stairs. I folded my wing back and turned around to climb the stairs as he accompanied me. His blue eyes showed me that he was trying to think of a way to assist me. "If I may ask, what typically aids you when flying? There must be certain variables and circumstances that might be helpful to you."

I paused to consider before softly shrugging. "My flying is impacted by the weight I am carrying, the condition of my wings, as well as the weather... Primarily the weather. I can fly more easily—almost effortlessly—if the wind is in my favour. My situation becomes challenging, though, if there is either no wind like in here or too much wind like in a hurricane. No need to mention that wet feathers would make my job impossible."