Chapter 14: The Journey

I looked up at the dawning sky as I stood in front of the open gate. Although the sun was not up yet, it was not completely dark for me to feel the need for a light source in order to see what was in front of me. It has been two days since I woke up. I wanted to travel to Imladris as soon as possible. Alas, I had to wait for my travelling gear to be specially crafted.

My twin swords, which I had set on my belt with great care, were attached to my armour. On my hip, just above my tiny sleeping gear, was a customised knapsack that was wider rather than higher. They have been fastened with leather straps. I also received a black cloak from Thranduil. Because of how dark it was, it appeared to be an extension of my wings. The upper middle of the cloak had been cut off, leaving space for where my wings emerged, preventing it from restricting my wings' movements. It also came with a large hood that could comfortably cover my face, but I doubt I would ever need it.

I double-checked my supplies and the straps' stability to be sure I had everything I would need. I was ready to spread my wings and fly away when I was stopped in my tracks by two sets of footsteps.

"Leaving without saying goodbye?"

I turned to face the two familiar ellyn. A gentle breeze wafted through my hair, obscuring my eyes. I shifted the strand to the side and gave a gentle smile to the elegant king and his son, who were just a few feet away from me.

"I did not wish to disturb you."

While Legolas, who was standing right behind Thranduil, shook his head disapprovingly, Thranduil clicked his tongue in the same manner. He was behaving more naturally. I suppose the lack of guards around us may have been able to help him take off his kingly disguise.

"Tch. Disturb me? When will you realise that you will never be able to accomplish such a feat?"

"Would you be willing to wager on that?" I said with a wry, mischievous grin on my face. I took pleasure in seeing his valiant façade crack. I could see that I had left a permanent scar after playing jokes on him for years.

"No, thank you..." He lightly murmured and looked away. Both me and Legolas let out a chuckle.

"What my adar was trying to say was that we wished to bid you farewell and were a little saddened that you seemed to be avoiding us." Legolas gently spoke.

My smile turned into a sad one as I looked at him.

"I understand. My sincerest apologies, as I did not wish to upset you; however, I do not like parting ways with the ones I care about. That is why I did not want to..." I let the sentence go as I looked away from him and towards Thranduil. He was concealing his emotions behind his impassive mask. It was tougher for me to understand what he was feeling as I looked into his eyes since I could see that they were shrouded in a rather thick layer of ice. We exchanged silent glances as we observed one another. I was attempting to decipher what he was thinking when I spotted that his right hand was clenched into a fist.

He is worried for my well-being...

My saddened smile turned into a sympathetic one as I opened my right wing slightly. I extended my hand and removed a single feather. It was as pitch-black as the starless night sky. With my right hand I softly touched my chest, where my heart was located. I was able to extract a tiny but brilliant ball of light with the aid of Ilma. It was the size of a single pea and as dazzling as the stars above.

A piece from my fëa.

I guided the light and delicately infused it with the feather. The feather began to shine brightly and swell with warmth. I took a moment to look at it before turning to face Thranduil. Taking a step forward, I stood in front of him and offered the feather to him.