Chapter 10 - A Drunk at Dawn

The sun shone through silver curtains, creeping from one end of the bedchambers to the solid oak doors. Guards stood in their Triena blues and silvers, providing oversight to the sea of noblemen scattered across the floor. Each in a varied state of disarray. Amongst the pile of limbs, cushions, blankets, and overturned goblets was the silver head of the Triena's Prince. But he was not the only one crowned in the half-dressed, drunk gallery of noblemen. One dressed in crimson red and brilliant gold was also there. Some noblemen were sound asleep, while others aimlessly stared at various points in the royal bedchambers.

Bursting through the doors, parting the pair of guards, was Belur, the manservant of the crowned Triena Prince. He was sweating and wheezing as he rushed into the quarters. "Your royal highness." Belur belted as he grasped for more air to fill his lungs. "You're late. The ladies have gathered, and The Queen Mother is waiting."

"Good god, my man, why are you shouting?" The young Triena Prince rolled over and stretched. He was missing a few articles of clothing. Along his collarbone and down his chest was a faint glistening line of blue ale. Ryha, the Prince of Triena, rubbed his eyes, then slid his hand over the sticky blue trail on his bare chest. He leaned forward, gazing on the cushion beside him where his empty goblet resided. "Fetch me another."

As he tried to pull his arm from his chest, it was drawn back, tethered to the faint blue line of ale. The blue sparkling liquor made night bleed into the day without notice. His highness' feet were outstretched to the fading flame. Belur ventured further into the room to answer the request. "The tea with the ladies of the court and your mother is happening now." Belur tried again to mend what appeared to be fruitless efforts. He took the empty goblet as he passed.

"Was it today? What is today?" The Prince mumbled his response.

Belur stepped over the bare torsos and limbs of noblemen on his way to refill the goblet he held. His footing slipped on a discarded tunic, and Belur stumbled over the Prince of Florian and Gregorio. Both aroused to the day, shifting and precariously sitting up.

"You!" Prince Sedrick held his goblet out in Belur's general direction. "Fill my cup too."

Belur took the goblet in hand, and he released a breath. There was a moment he feared what came after Prince Sedrick's exclaimed, you. After all, he had stumbled over said Prince.

First, he filled his lord's cup and then he filled the cup of Florian's prince. "Middle day of the week." Belur offered ale to Gregorio, who politely declined.

Dismissively, Prince Ryha waved off the answer and fell back into the cushions. "Send word I am not coming."

Belur bowed his head and made his way to the writing table to fulfill the request of his lordship.

"How did you find Eleonora, Rio?" Prince Sedrick's voice rang out as from his sprawled position on the bearskin rug. A goblet filled to the brim with ale balanced upon his chest. His drunken words were voiced as the cup and its spirited liquid dipped left and right. "I have been looking for months, and she has been... gone... hidden... a ghost."

"I know how to search for someone who doesn't want to be found." Gregorio pulled his tunic over his head as he spoke. "It's a gift of mine." Gregorio flashed a smile. He then laid his head on the edge of Prince Ryha's cushion.

With his slurred speech, Prince Ryha chimed in."What are your thoughts on Duchess Eleonora?"

"If I was looking out for my own interests, I'd say stay away from her. She is already caught despite her disappearing act. She is rightfully mine." Sedrick stated as he dramatically stood with an assortment of grunts and groans accompanying his movement. Once standing, He downed the liquor in his goblet.