Chapter 3 - The One Who Entered

Her head tilted up gazing at the tower, she was as sure of what she saw as she was uncertain. The glistening essence of silver was there in one glance, and gone in the next.

She had never met someone who was Dragon Blessed, though she dreamt of it. However, she heard many tales about them. Most who lived in Triena knew a story or two about a Dragon Blessed person. Typically, the only people who received the silver dragon's breath of blessings were the rulers of Triena. The story goes, when it was time to choose the next ruler, the dragon would return and breathe on someone else. Thus far, the dragon had blessed one family for generations with its breath. From father to son, sometimes father to daughter, mother to son, or mother to her brother. The current reigning ruler of Triena was King Ryha Lee Busi. He was the third of his line, and the seventh Lee to rule over Triena. Each of them had received the dragon's blessing. For seven generations, Triena had been ruled by an individual from the Lee Family by the will of the Dragons. The fire-breathing beasts were held in high esteem in Triena and much of the North. Few Trienians were lucky enough to encounter one, and even fewer were blessed by the beast.

For the first time she entered the palace, and it was not the way she had hoped to do so. The ideal would have been coming in as the new seamstress for the Royal Lee Family or even as someone's maid. Instead, she was being escorted against her will in the noonday sun. She did not get to see the palace through the front doors, the two burly men took her through another way. For she was among the accused and that put her at a level below servants.

The path they took through the palace was the entrance not often used. The journey was dark and dank. It made her happy to be held a few inches above the ground. The tunnels and corridors they traversed through, wound around sharp corners and had steep upward climbs. Until a door with an intricate key obstructed their path. Beneath the wooden barrier with the lock and key, amber light poured through its cracks.

They set her on her feet but kept their hold on her arms. The door opened outward for them. It revealed a pathway meant for those of the palace. Walls of white, stoned floors of a glistening silver, and sapphire rugs lined the halls. A small cluster of servants bustled about. She and her accompaniment of two sturdy guards stood out among those there, but none paid them any mind.

In the beginning it was odd, she wished to refuse forward motion but in her awe of the palace she moved forward despite what she wished. The further they guided her in, the more she wondered what was happening. The way they were going had no sign or hint at being the way to the dungeons.

The two burly men carried her into and through the throne room. A throne of silver and glass set upon a raised platform with a canopy of sapphire drapes. The king was not there today, which sent relief through her limbs. To stand before the king accused did not bode well for her. However, it was not an official day for King Rhya Busi Lee to receive guests or oversee disputes of landowners. It was an ordinary day of the palace being off limits to the adoring public.

Their procession kept moving onward. Off to the side of the palace throne room was a black door enclosed behind deep blue curtains. They pulled the drapes back, and pushed the door open. It was a room made for dressing in which She was ushered into.

"Here!" one man barked as they both pushed her forward. She stumbled into the room, finding her balance before she could fall over. The two burly men handed her off to a crackle of handmaidens.