Chapter 4 - A Flower in Her Hair

As the guards left the room, the women surrounded her. Working in unison, the handmaidens removed her commoner clothing. They washed her from head to toe, abolishing the dirt and smells which came with a life in the market streets. They scrubbed everything until not one speck of dirt or grime remained on her body. Her skin was raw, but also was soft and glowing when they finished. They brushed out her braided hair, taming the unruly auburn curls that fell to your waist. When they washed her locks, the auburn curls turned a mystic blue with silver highlights. The transformation of color caused the crackle to gasp, then they worked to tame the striking blue mane. Topping it off with a snow white flower crown of baby's breaths.

She was dressed in fine silks and perfumed inch by inch until she no longer smelt of soot and muck. The laceworker was fragranced like a Hyacinth, sweet and spicy. She was as elegant as a noble, but was still dressed like a lowly commoner of Triena. Soon, they traded her tattered rags for a dress of the royal colors: silvers and sapphires. The gown was a rich blue with silver accents of petals snitch upon the fabrics.

A swish of fabrics and a consistent click against the stone floors, started softly and became louder. The sea of handmaidens part for the one to whom the footsteps belonged. With the new arrival's presence the handmaidens around the laceworker bowed to the newcomer.

"You, your grace, are now called Duchess Eleonora Lee." A voice which carried great command of the space spoke before she came into full view. The words were spoken by a noble woman, her head was held high and her posture was regal. She glided into the room a head above the rest. "I am your advisor and surrogate mother."

She started laughing, the relief of not being chained and shackled collided with another feeling. The domino situation felt like a game being played at her expense. Pieces were falling but not in an ordered fashion or pattern that made sense. One moment ago she was arrested, then she was pampered, and ended with the declaration she was a duchess. Her mind was on high alert. Her laughter died down as the room felt like it was spinning. "I think you have mistaken me for someone else. My name is not Eleonora. And I am not a Lee."

"I do not care who you were, or what you were called before." The noble woman clapped her hands dismissing the handmaidens. "You are the Duchess Eleonora Lee of Ailon. You are of the royal line. You are a distant cousin of Triena's Royal Lee Family. Your Father was the brother of the first Lee to reign in Triena." She spoke in terms of finality, conveying her seriousness with every word noted.

"None of that's true?" The sapphire gown she held at its sides as she dipped into a curtsey. She was in the presence of nobility, she did what she believed to be proper.

The noble woman crossed the room and swiped the back of her head with an open palm. "You are royal!" She exclaimed. "You do not curtsey to a noble. You are a Duchess of Triena. Those in the ruling Lee Family are the only ones to whom you bow."

The one who was now named the duchess had a look of defiance and a readied willingness to brawl with the woman who smacked her head. "So, you decided to kidnap me, a stranger. From the streets had me dragged into the palace, washed, and dressed. Then you start calling me a noble or royal... whatever name you just said. Why did you do it? Why me? What are you after?" With the onslaught of demanding questions, Eleonora squirmed in the dress due to the tightness of its unfamiliar fine fabrics.

"I do not have time for this right now," the noble woman barked. "Do you know how to pretend? Can you act for now?"

Eleonora hesitated, "I can pretend. I know how to. But what's in it for me?"

"How about not dying?" The noble woman replied. "Is that enough motivation for you to be who I said you are?"

A smile and a slight dip of her head. "I am Eleonora Lee, my lady."

The noble woman rolled her eyes and mumbled under her breath. She smacked Eleonora again in the back of the head. It stung and the nape of her neck flushed red.

Eleonora stepped forward and into the noblewoman's personal space. With gritted teeth she made known her opinion. "My Lady, I forgave the first time you took liberties with your hand to my head. But a second time has used all the graciousness I have to spare. Do not do it a third time or you'll regret the result." She held her ground within the other woman's personal bubble. Having to look up to her considerably made her statement less weighted. However, Eleonora was not above grappling with the woman if need arose.

The noblewoman did not move or care enough to make a remark in response to what Eleonora had said. Instead, she tilted her gaze down to Eleonora looking into her eyes as she spoke. "The proper way to address yourself is Lady Ailon, Duchess, Duchess of Ailon, or Your Grace." The noble woman circled around, she ended with standing in front of Eleonora once again. She grabbed hold of Eleonora's chin. Then she moved her face to the left and to the right examining her features. "You're actually pretty. It is amazing they could find a pretty nobody." She looked her up and down, and walked around her a couple more times. "You have a decent figure, though you could do with a few good meals." She sighed as she returned to her position of standing in front and looking down on Eleonora.

The Duchess of Ailon glared at the noblewoman but had no words to utter as she did so.

"Lady Ailon, this afternoon you will be attending a brunch with her majesty the Queen and other noble women of the Triena court. You will sit at my table. Don't speak to anyone! I'll introduce you to anyone you must know. Try to act like a lady." The noble woman gave a pointed tight lip look and then turned towards the door.

The noblewoman left the room from the same door she entered through. As she walked over the threshold, she left the door ajar. Eleonora stood in the same place the noblewoman had left her with her neck slightly tilted. The phantom feeling of the noblewoman's fingers lingered on her skin. She was unsure about what ought to be her next step. She knew she could follow but part of her did not wish to continue on even though earlier she agreed to do so.

She remained standing where she was in the dressing room, letting herself relax and take a look around. Eleonora saw her surroundings with new eyes. In her scan of the room she spotted the door through which the guards had led her here. Walking over to the black wood door, she tried to open them. It would not budge. She pulled and then tried pushing, but the door did not give under her efforts. Eleonora moved to another door in the room, she tried it too but to no avail. All the doors were locked except for the one left ajar.

There was no other way out of the room except the way the noble woman went. Reluctantly, Eleonora moved in that direction, following the noblewoman to whatever fate she inflicted.