Chapter 11 - A Faithful Friend

Belur took a break after the morning unwound into an uncomfortable situation. It was never a deep-seated enjoyment to be the go between from Prince Ryha to The Queen Mother. Even though the morning had only required one message correspondence back and forth, it was more than enough to exhaust him fully. It was not the sending of the receiving of messages that was the troublesome issue. It was the delivering of what he sent or what he received that truly was the object of his pain and dread.

Once more, Belur arrived outside of Prince Ryha's chambers. From the middle of the corridor, before the door was in sight. He could hear raised voices. It was the twisted reverb of The Queen Mother and Prince Ryha shouting at each other. It would have been wise based on his experiences to tarry in the halls until the voices he heard calmed. But in Belur dwelled a misguided sense of a need to help, to be the mediator between the two royals. After all, they were his relations, even though in their household he held a low social status.

Instead of what wisdom beckoned him to do, he got closer to the door. As he did, Belur could understand what was being said. It was a heated discussion. Perhaps it was more of a one sided reprimand than a discussion because the Queen was doing most of the shouting. Belur slipped into the room, standing in the shadows, not to disrupt the reprimand. There were multiple occasions he wished he could scold the Prince like the Queen was doing right now. Although Belur had the means to firmly compel the Prince to different actions, Belur was not unbridled in his corrections. He was also walking the fine line of respectful behavior, blended with honesty.

"Don't think I'm unaware of your schemes." Queen Mother Tilly shouted. She was standing toe to toe with her son, gazing up into his face with one hand raised. Her pointer finger was making sharp direct motions with each word that flowed from her lips. "I know. Duchess Eleonora and Prince Sedrick have a history. If you think you can pick her and then choose Shui or Hanna, you better think again."

Overly relaxed in his demeanor, Ryha let her words fall past his ears. His tone of voice was ripe with frustration. "Mother, when have I ever been that clever?"

The Queen glared at him. "Don't play innocent, son. I know. You always get what you want in the end." She paused, clasping her hands behind her back. "Not this time. You cannot seek what is best for yourself. You have a kingdom to keep in mind. You will seek the best for Triena. It is time you respect and honor your father's and my wishes."

"What's wrong with me having what I want? I'll marry whoever I want. The kingdom will be better for it." Prince Ryha's chest inflated and his head canted to the side. He studied his mother. Meanwhile, Belur listened and studied them both. In the young prince's voice, Belur heard more authority and an ounce of aggravation. "I am the one who must lead alongside whomever I choose. Why can't it be my choice?"

"If you were already dragon blessed, you could have your pick." The explanation flowed from the Queen Mother with a spark of concern flashed in her gaze. A dragon blessing went a long way in adding creditably to a Royal's decisions. The Queen Mother grabbed hold of her son's shoulders. She shook him. "Listen. it would be ideal for you to marry for more than the security of Triena's future. But Shui and Hanna are NOT suitable matches."

The conversation they were having was one Belur heard both sides of multiple times. It seemed no matter how many times they each talked on the subject, neither was seeing eye to eye on the situation. Prince Ryha raised his voice even more. "You keep saying they're not suitable! What makes either of them such an ill match? Mother."

The Queen sighed but did not budge from her stance or frosty gaze. For a moment, the woman who seemed without age wore the time on her features. "When it is time, you will understand." She turned her back to her son, but Belur could see her fully. He and the queen exchanged a look. In it, he could decipher the role he was meant to play. The Queen Mother continued to speak. "You, my son, cannot marry Shui. Nor Hanna. The reason why not is complicated. It is not in your best interest or the best interest of Triena."