Chapter 4

She was sitting in the rocking chair in the corner of the nursery, smiling down at Parker who was barely six months old at the time. He was lying in her arms, slowly drifting off into sleep but trying to stay awake. As for me, I was across the room, standing against the wall with my arms crossed over my chest as I watched her hum some unknown tune to him.

"Are there any words to that song you're humming?" I joked. She glanced up at me and smirked. "Come on, sing to him."

"Patrick, I can't sing to him."

"Sure you can. Just put some words to that tune you're singing. You've done it before."

"Yeah, but that was long ago when Pete asked us to watch Bronx that one time and he wouldn't stop crying. I didn't know what else to do."

"Come on...I'll even get my guitar."

Before she could object, I rushed out of the room and grabbed my instrument from the office where I kept it. I returned to the nursery and sat down on the ground, across from my wife and son. I adjusted the guitar a bit before coming up with a four-chord progression that I began to play over and over again. I looked up at her and nodded my head, indicating she could start singing whenever she was ready.

She rolled her eyes before looking down at our son once more and starting to sing softly to him.

"Honey is for bees, silly bear
Besides, there's jelly beans everywhere
It's not what it seems in the land of dreams
Don't worry your head just go to sleep..."

I took over the next verse.

"It doesn't matter how you feel
Life is just a Ferris wheel
It's always up and down
Don't make a sound..."

The corner of her lip perked upward and she continued the song.

"When you wake up the world will come around..."

And I repeated her.

The two of us finished the song together and it was so good that I just had to write it down. I tapped the pen on the paper when I was finished and looked over at her. The two of us were lying in our bed, and Parker was asleep in his crib. His room was right across from ours.

"I'll show this to the guys tomorrow. They're either going to love it or think I've lost my mind."

She smiled, "Hopefully it's not the latter."

I grinned and folded my hands on my stomach, turning my head so I was looking at her, "You're a natural songwriter, babe."

She scoffed, "Yeah right."

"No really. We should collaborate more often," I intertwined my fingers with hers and brought her hand to my lips, kissing it, "I mean, just look at Parker."

She gasped before slipping her hand out of mine to smacking me playfully. "Patrick!"

I laughed, "I'm joking. But seriously, what do you think about working on the next album with us?"

She shook her head no with a smile stretched across her face.

"Come on! It'll be great! At least one song..." Another shake of the head. "Fine. But I'm going to try again next album."

"You can try, but my answer's not going to change."

"You never know."

I never did get her to work on the next album with me. However, the song we sang to our son that night did make it onto an album, but it didn't really make it onto it. It was made into a pre-gap hidden track. I don't know how many people have actually heard it, though, besides my son and my wife.

Sometimes I'll put that album into the stereo, rewind it before the first song starts, and listen to the song we wrote together. It always brings a smile to my face, remember how happy I used to be...how happy we used to be.