Chapter 24

She and I were lying in bed, me lying on top of her with her placed perfectly underneath me. Our lips were connected and our bare bodies were covered by the sheets. It had been a few months since we were married and things were going great, at least, they were for me.

I broke our kiss at the lips and began planting kisses down her neck, down her chest, and retreating underneath the covers. But before I could go any further, she stopped me by asking, "Hey, Patrick?"

I lifted my head and glanced up at her, "Yeah?"

She rested her head back on the pillows and bit her lip, "I need you to promise me something."

I heaved a sigh and moved so that I was lying right beside her, turning on my side and supporting myself on my elbow, my head resting in the palm of my right hand, "Hey, I already told you, if you're not comfortable with that-"

"No, it's not that, Patrick," She assured me, turning her head to look at me, "It's just...I've had this on my mind for a while and I need to get it out before it's too late."

I tilted my head down and intertwined her fingers with mine, bringing them to my lips and kissing them gently, "What is it?"

She took in a quick breath before murmuring, "I need you to promise me that, no matter what, you'll never give up."

I chuckled, thinking her request was absurd (I had no reason not to), "Why would I give up?"

"Because I see it in your eyes," She met my gaze and that's when I noticed the tears wavering in hers, "Every day, I see you wake up, and you just have this look in your eyes that's like...like you just don't have a reason to go on with your day. So please, tell me that you're not going to give up."

Little did I know at the time that she was really referring to herself. She wanted reassurance that she shouldn't give up, that she had a reason to go on with her day. And that reason at the time was me. Later it would be Parker. But even Parker couldn't save her from the demise she saw for herself long in advance.

The corner of my lip twitched upward into a smirk, "Well, I can assure you that I'm not giving up any time soon. Not now, not in five years, not in ten years. I'll never give up. I promise."

She smiled appreciatively and leaned in, gently pressing her lips against mine.

Then again, maybe she was predicting this. In fact, I knew she was. She was predicting her death and she was predicting how I would be after it.

Over the years, I'd forgotten about my promise, especially after she'd taken her own life. I was only reminded of it at my worst moment when I was sitting on the edge of my bed with a bottle of pills in my hand.

My hand was so shaky as I brought it towards my mouth, but right before a single pill could touch my lips, touch my tongue, I saw her. Well, I saw a picture of her, Parker, and me. The picture I had on my dresser. And it was in that moment, that brief moment, that I remembered that day, the day I made that promise to her.

That I'd never give up. No matter what.

I heaved a sigh and lowered my hand back down, capping the bottle and setting it down on the nightstand.

I rose to my feet and left my room, left my house, snatching a few things on my way out. I slipped into the driver's seat and started the car up.

*****

My hand was starting to hurt the longer and more I knocked on the door. I knew they were home - their car was in the driveway and they had no reason not to be there.

After what seemed like forever, the door was finally pulled in.

"What the hell, Dad?" Parker greeted me coldly, dressed in his pajamas and rubbing his eyes tiredly like he was still a little child, "You woke me up..."

"I'm sorry. But I made a promise to your mom a long time ago," I told him, "A promise to never give up, no matter what."

"What does that have to do with anything?" He dropped his hands before crossing his arms over his chest.

"I gave up on you, Park, and I shouldn't have." I pulled out a piece of paper from my pocket and unfolded it, briefly examining what was drawn on it. I smiled a bit before handing it to my son. He took the piece of paper into his possession and looked down at it, the bitter expression on his face slowly fading away. I bit my lip and added, "I know it probably means nothing to you, because last we talked things didn't go very well, but I'm-"

I didn't even get the chance to finish my sentence before Parker stepped outside and pulled me into an unexpected hug. My eyes widened and I tensed up in shock.

"Parker, I-"

"Dad, stop," He whispered, hugging me tighter. I loosened up and wrapped my arms around him.

The two of us stood there for a little while, in each other's arms, before he stepped out of the embrace and sniffled, wiping under his eyes.

"Dammit, Dad, you made me cry," He chuckled. I laughed along under my breath, not because I wanted to but because I felt like that's what was expected of me. To help him make this serious situation not so serious.

"So...will give me a second chance, Park?" I inquired softly, trying to keep at the matter at hand, "All those years we hated each other...I want to make them up to you. I know it won't be easy, nor will it happen in a short time, but I'm willing to do it if you are."

He stood there for a little, staring down at the drawing in his hands, before nodding his head yes.

The corner of my lip curled up.