chapter one.

chapter one rise of a grisha

chapter one
rise of a grisha

THERE WAS A TIME IN MY LIFE WHERE I HAD NOTHING, no love, no shelter, nothing. The only thing I had was the cot that I lied on, and the silent snores of the trackers left and right. It had been days since we left Kribirsk to head up to Ryevost, long miserable days traveling on the Vy until we had to break the trail and head east through the woods. Being a tracker in the first army was quite miserable, at first, I liked it. Now I just wish I could take back everything I had ever even thought myself to like about it. But leaving this type of business would wind my ass up in Os Alta's underground prison and that was the last thing I needed happening to me right now.

The sun on the horizon slowly began to crack through the trees when we left to continue on our travels. After walking for another five hours without stop may I add we finally arrived at Ryevost. It was a small town, not large, but enough to fit at least a couple hundred incoming travels, or in our case army units.

We all stopped at the small pub at the other side of the town, only a mile from the camp base, "What can I do for you young lady?" The bartender asked me, "I'll just have kvass, thank you." I sent him a small smile and turned my attention back to my surroundings.

There was few Grisha that traveled in and out of Ryevost, but I was surprised to find some squallers and heartrenders sitting at a table a few feet away. I looked away, reaching for my hair tie, pulling it free and letting my golden blonde hair fall down my back in soft dirty waves.

The pub was small, but I was shocked to find so many people in it, a few settlers, merchants, and trackers and evidently a few Grisha. Right when I was about to turn my attention back to my surroundings, the bartender settled the glass down onto the counter, "here you are," he said, "enjoy,"

I gave a faint smile to the bartender and turned my attention to my drink. It didn't take me long after to finish it, maybe ten minutes at the most before I was back out in the streets and making my way to the base.

I was in no need to hurry, so I walked slow, observing the town as I went. Little carts filled with vegetables, cheeses, breads lined up against the arch ways, merchants out in the streets trying to bargain with the passing small crowds.

Every now and then, in the distance I would catch the colors of Grisha Kefta's and I wondered why so many of them were in Ryevost. Had they been hunting something?  Someone?

Or was it a trip, and they were simply passing through? But we'd been so close to Fjerda's borders, only trackers were permitted to go as far. The darkling didn't allow his Grisha to travel east of the borders, simply because he didn't want any of his Grisha to end up in the hands of the enemy. Which I didn't blame him for, but it was also selfish to be allowing just trackers, when heart-render Grisha could do so much more. We'd be safer.