chapter seven.

chapter seven.
rising and falling

!smut!

I SHOT TO MY FEET. "WHAT HAPPENED?"

"Sergei let her real name slip. He seems to be taking to heights about as well as he took to caves."

I released a growl of frustration. Genya had played a key role in the Darkling's plot to depose the King. I'd tried to be patient with Sergei, but now he'd put her in danger and jeopardized our position with Nikolai.

Baghra reached out and snagged the fabric of my trousers, gesturing to Tolya.

"Who is that?"

"One of my guards."

"Grisha?"

"Yes."

"He sounds—"

"Freya," Tolya said. "They're coming to take her right now."

I pried Baghra's fingers away. "I have to go. I'll send Misha back to you."

I hurried from the room, closing the door behind me, and Tolya and I raced for the stairs, taking them two at a time. The sun had long since set, and the lanterns of the Spinning Wheel had been lit. Outside, I glimpsed stars emerging above the cloud bank. A group of soldiers with blue armbands had gathered by the training area and looked about two seconds away from drawing their guns on Tamar and Alina.

I felt a surge of pride to see the Etheralki arrayed behind them, shielding Genya. Sergei was nowhere to be found. Probably a good thing, since I didn't have time to give him the pummeling he deserved.

I went straight to Genya, her eyes wide and fearful. I pushed her behind me.

"The King is waiting," said one of the guards.

I was surprised to hear Zoya snap back, "Let him wait."

"I tried to lead them off by threatening them, but they wouldn't budge," Alina said.

"It's alright. You did what you could." I said fiercely, glaring at the soldiers.

I put my arm around Genya's shoulders, leading her a little way off. She was shaking as her nails dug into my arm.

"Listen to me," I said, smoothing her hair back. "No one will hurt you. Do you understand?"

"He's the King, Freya." I heard the terror in her voice.