chapter twenty-two.

chapter twenty-two.
The Fall of a Grisha

I DIDN'T SLEEP THAT NIGHT, MOSTLY OUT OF fear that I would come back face to face with the Darkling

I DIDN'T SLEEP THAT NIGHT, MOSTLY OUT OF fear that I would come back face to face with the Darkling. Or Genya's scarred face. It was simply the worst night of my life. I felt as if from deep within the corners of the dark room, eyes were on me. I dared not to look into them, scared that I'd see the very same face again, smiling sadistically at me.

Alina's hand smoothed my hair back as Tamar settled down beside me in the armchair next to the bed. I hadn't said a word in the past two hours, I didn't think I really needed to in my state. Tolya had to carry me to my bed since my feet wouldn't allow me to move and I was grateful.

"I saw her."

Tamar and Alina glanced at each other.

"Genya," I said stiffly. "He's tortured her."

With a start, Alina embraced me again. I knew she was only trying to make me feel better. But I don't think any affection or gratitude is going to help this ever-growing pit of failure.

"Her face is scarred. He let his Nichevo'ya touch her." I took a deep breath and chewed my bottom lip. "And it's my fault."

"You didn't know," said Tamar gently.

I shook my head angrily and said, "He told me she wouldn't be touched."

Tamar shook her head and asked confused, "Has he been here?" 

I glanced from Alina and then back to Tamar contemplating if I should tell her about the Darkling. But then, there was no more hiding it. I didn't have a choice.

I sighed shakily and said, "Not physically... this is going to sound crazy but I can see him. Every inch of him. At first, I thought it was some kind of illusion but then he touched me... that night when I screamed... I saw him and felt him. He kissed me. He said that he'd rip away everything that I know and love until he was my only shelter. That day at the chapel." I said and looked over to Alina. "I saw him sitting in the darkness by the entrance. He was mocking me. Mocking us. That's why I left so fast. He's always watching me. At night, when I try to sleep he's always at the foot of my bed or standing behind me at the desk. I've asked why he won't leave me alone but the only answer I get is 'because then I'd be alone too'—"

"Why didn't you tell us?" Tamar demanded.

"I was terrified, Tamar," I said.

"That's no excuse," she said more softly.

"I have none," I said sharply. "There is no excuse other than the fact that I genuinely thought I was going insane."