chapter six.

chapter six.
The Rise of a Grisha

I WAS UP BEFORE DAWN THAT MORNING, sunlight was streaming through the windows

I WAS UP BEFORE DAWN THAT MORNING, sunlight was streaming through the windows. I'd thought about getting up to close the curtains and trying to go back to sleep, but I didn't have the energy.

I stretched and reached out to run my fingers over the intricately carved birds and flowers on the bedpost. High above me, the canopy of the bed opened to reveal a ceiling painted in bold colors, an elaborate pattern of leaves and flowers and birds in flight. As if I was staring up at it, counting the leaves of a juniper wreath and beginning to doze off again, but before I could a knock was sounding at the door.

I groaned, setting up in the bed, sliding my feet into the little fur-lined slippers set out on my bed, and walked to the door, when I opened the door, a servant was waiting with a stack of clothing and a pair of boots. I thanked her softly and then she was gone.

I didn't know when Genya would be arriving, so I didn't know if I had time for a bath. But I took one anyways, washing my hair thoroughly and scrubbing my body from shoulder to toe, and slid on the rob.

When I emerged back into the bedroom, Genya was there. When had she come in? She didn't seem to notice my presence for a few seconds before peering over her shoulder, "Good Morning, tide shine." she said.

I scrunched up my brows, "tide shine, that's a new one." I said, striding over to her by the vanity.

"Well if I'm going to be working with you every morning I'm going to need to call you something." She said. I let out a light laugh, "then how about my real name?"

She scoffed, "I'll call you whatever I'd like to, little beauty." Then winked at me from beside her. I felt my cheeks heat up, but then shook my head, looking away. "So what is it you are doing to my face today? Besides making me look like a replica of Alina."

Genya sighed, "I didn't make you look like Alina, I made you look like yourself." She said giving me a pointed look.

I shook my head, "I felt like an intruder." I said, "Like I was invading the original duties."

Genya was rummaging through her kit, "Well you weren't and besides—" she paused, "you two are important in the little and grand palace."

"For what exactly?" I asked, "for this power I somehow possess." Genya turned then, making me look her straight in the eyes, "yes that, but for what you two will do when the time comes."

I thought of the Sun Summoners' duties, to bring down the fold. That was in fact what the stories had said, but what of Tidemakers and Sun Summoners?