chapter three.

chapter three.
rising and falling

THE DOORS FLEW OPEN

THE DOORS FLEW OPEN. ALINA THREW OUT her hands and let light blast into the passageway. A cry went up from the people lining the tunnel. Those who weren't already kneeling fell to their knees, and a chorus of prayer washed over us.

"Speak," I muttered to the Apparat as light bathed the supplicants in glowing sunlight. "And make it good."

"We have faced a great trial this day," he declared hurriedly. "Our Tide Saint has emerged from it stronger than before. Darkness came to this hallowed place—"

"I saw it!" cried one of the priest guards. "Shadows climbed the walls—"

"About that..." murmured Genya.

"Later."

"But they were vanquished," continued the Apparat, "as they will always be vanquished. By faith."

Alina stepped forward. "And by power."

Again, light sweeps through the passage, a blinding cascade. Most of these people had never seen what Alina's and I's power could truly do. Someone was weeping, and I heard my and Alina's name, buried cries of "Sankta! Sankta!"

As we led the Apparat and the priest guards through the White Cathedral, my mind was working, turning over options. Vladmin went ahead of us, to see my orders done.

We finally had a chance to get free of this place. But what would it mean to leave the White Cathedral behind? We'd be abandoning an army and leaving them in the Apparat's care. And yet, there weren't many options open to us. We needed to get above ground. Alina needed the Firebird.

Mal dispatched Tolya to rally the rest of the Soldat Sol and search out more working firearms. My control of the priest guards was tenuous at best. In case of trouble, we wanted guns at the ready, and I hoped I could rely on the sun soldiers to stay loyal to Alina and me.

I escorted the Apparat to his quarters myself, Alina and Tamar trailing us.

At his door, I said, "In one hour, we'll lead services together. Tonight, Alina and I leave with our Grisha and you'll sanction our departure."

"Voda Koroleva," the Apparat whispered, "I urge you not to return to the surface so soon. The Darkling's position is not a strong one. The Lantsov boy has few allies—"

"We are his ally."

"He abandoned you at the Little Palace."