chapter twelve.

chapter twelve.
The Fall of a Grisha

AS THE CROWDS OF PILGRIMS GREW, THEY BECAME harder to control, and soon Alina and I were forced to ride in the coach

AS THE CROWDS OF PILGRIMS GREW, THEY BECAME harder to control, and soon Alina and I were forced to ride in the coach. Some days Mal accompanied us, but usually, he chose to ride outside, guarding the vehicle with Tolya and Tamar.

As eager as we were for his or anyone's company, I knew it was for the best. Being stuck in the lacquered little jewel box always seemed to put both Alina and me in a bad mood.

Nikolai only joined us on our way into or out of every village, so that we would be seen arriving or departing together. He talked constantly. He was always thinking of some new thing to build—a contraption for paving roads, a new irrigation system, a boat that could row itself.

He sketched on any piece of paper he could find, and each day he seemed to have a new way to improve the next version of the Hummingbird.

As nervous as it made me and Alina, he was also eager to talk about the third amplifier and the Darkling. He didn't recognize the stone arch in the illustration either, and no matter how long we squinted at the page, Sankt Ilya wasn't giving up his secrets. But that didn't stop Nikolai from speculating endlessly on possible places to start hunting the firebird, or questioning me about the Darkling's new power.

"We're about to go to war together," he said. "In case you've forgotten, the Darkling's not particularly fond of me. I'd like us to have every advantage we can get."

There was so little for Alina and me to tell. We barely understood what the Darkling was doing himself.

"Grisha can only use and alter what already exists. True creation is a different kind of power. Baghra called it 'the making at the heart of the world.'"

"And you think that's what the Darkling is after?"

"Maybe. I don't know. We all have limits, and when we push them, we tire. But in the long term, using our power makes us stronger. It's different when the Darkling calls the Nichevo'ya. I think it costs him." I described the strain that had shown on the Darkling's face, his fatigue. "The power isn't feeding him. It's feeding on him."

"Well, that explains it," Nikolai said, his fingers beating a tattoo against his thigh, his mind already churning with possibilities.

"Explains what?"

"That we're still alive, that my father is still sitting the throne. If the Darkling could just raise a shadow army, he'd have marched on us already. This is good," he said decisively. "It buys us time."

The question was how much. I thought back to the desire I'd felt looking up at the stars aboard the Volkvolny. Hunger for power had corrupted the Darkling. For all I knew, it might well have corrupted Morozova, too. Bringing the amplifiers together might unleash misery of a kind the world had never seen.