C H A P T E R F O U R

FERN'S POV

The hike along the mountain ridge was peaceful enough. Tech leading the way on the natural dirt path, Wrecker and Echo side by side, Omega admiring the nature around her, and Hunter and I holding up the rear. It was another one of those quiet moments I wished would last forever, much like on the beach, or maybe one of those normal hiking journeys where we weren't marching to, possibly, our demise in Imperial hands...

We all finally stopped when reached the other side of the mountain, overlooking a beautiful valley that was curtained with massive, healthy trees. The sun shining bright in the clear blue sky teased more on the "perfect" hiking trip moment. Alas, that feeling is crushed as your eyes dipped to the white-grey stone ruins in the bed of the valley. It was as if someone crumbled a mountain into millions of bits.

"T-that's the city?" Omega asked with a frown.

"I'm afraid so, Half-Pint." I nodded, feeling a pit in my stomach.

"What happened to it?"

"Imperial aerial bombardment." Echo said. "Same as on Kamino."

"Come on," Hunter instructed. "We got to keep moving." I put a hand on Omega's shoulder as she hesistated and helped her along. There were no assuring words I could say to ease her thoughts.

Once we arrived on the southern side of the mountain, that was when what looked like a spaceport appeared into view below. Three cargo tranports the size of star destroyers themselves were each loaded with an estimate of a hundred containments each. Just one of those holds was large enough to fit the same amount of banthas. My mind raced on what could possbly be in the ones before us. Definitely not banthas... Tech used the binospecs to observe the situation, but it was pretty clear without them. The Empire has already started transporting the war chest off-world. And we were losing our only window of opportunity quickly.

"What's the plan?" I asked, taking a look through the binospecs myself. I caught sight of a clone officer with a black shoulder guard. A captain. Which meant there were at least forty clones down there patrolling. That's a lot of eyes to avoid. Even for a stealth master like me.

The whirling of a few single-pilot ships zipped by and followed along the first ascending transport. "Those are Imperial escort ships." Tech informed. "The standard protocol for when high-level cargo is being transported."

"Everyone head for the nearest container and grab what you can." Hunter said. "If things go sideways, I'll divert their forces and buy you some time."

"Shouldn't someone go with you?" I asked. "Just in case you need backup?"

"No, I'll be fine." Hunter shook his head. "We need as many hands as possible getting what we came for."

"Okay." I sighed.

"Good luck."

"You, too."

And with that, the sergeant began his descent off the path while the rest of us headed in the opposite direction.

———————————————————————

THIRD PERSON POV

By the time everyone minus Hunter hurried down the grassy slope to the edge of the spaceport, the second cargo transporter was taking off the platform. To make matters worse, the sergeant warned them via comms that there are roving patrols. Once the guards turned their backs, that was when they made their move. Fern and Wrecker watched the others' five and six as they all raced to the closest opened cargo hold.

"Up and over, Half-Pint." Fern hoisted her up inside, then accepted Wrecker's help before he too hopped in. The big guy stood watch and it wasn't long until he was forced to stun a guard...Dragging the clone inside and out of sight, he looked up to see everyone staring at him. "What? I did it quietly."