C H A P T E R S I X T Y-S I X

THIRD PERSON POV

Hunter did not know how to interpret Fern's giddy disposition as Shep guided them and the rest of his squad on a friendly tour of Pabu. While the island scenery was breath-taking and reflected a peaceful sanctuary just as Phee had described, when he learned it was home to countless refugees across the galaxy—so much so the community had to expand their town below the monumental sea wall—his attention peered over on the woman he escorted. She was conducting a manner he'd never witness before...

Her unabashed staring, yet unable to fix her gaze onto one thing. Her slow release of deep breathes, yet rendered speechless. Every once in a while, she forgot to blink and her glistening eyes fluttered. Her broad smile never wavered. Her whole body felt weightless, elated, and jittery simultaneously. She was glowing like a solar flare. Whenever the ocean breeze softly swept through her loose hair strands and braid, a calm chuckle escaped her lips as she tucked them aside without a care in the galaxy. There was a skip in every one of her steps, even when they all strolled down the slope that gradually spiralled around the sea wall to Lower Pabu.

No...Hunter had never truly realized this was what Fern looked like when she was genuinely, earnestly happy. He suddenly found himself pondering what he would give—well, he'd give anything—to see her like this all the time.

Once they had rounded to the west side of the wall, Shep paused and allowed the clones to take in the beautiful overlook of the island. Only then did Fern release Hunter's arm so she could hop up and prop herself up on the ledge. She leaned as far as she possibly could to absorb every sun ray, every breeze, and the sound of every wave lapping against the port. With every inhale, her soul swelled in her chest, her toes, and her eyes.

She surveyed the turquoise shoreline until it merged with the cerulean blue sea. The sun had began to set, its ray shimmered over the rippling waves. The civilian's homes casted shadows over their neighbors, contouring the blend of alabaster stone, deep orange-yellow sunlight, and dark blue of dusk. She heard the light rustling of trees with each whiff of wind. The salty aroma was stronger the farther down she and her squad followed Shep, who had gestured they continue on to his humble abode.

Why do I feel like I'm under some magic spell? she sighed, rejoining Hunter's side. She then scoffed to herself. Why am I even questioning it? It's not like I want to break free from whatever trance this is anytime soon.

When they finally reached their destination, Phee was already there to greet them. They all gathered in the patio, which was shaded by an overhanging, meshed net and bordered with waist-high walls adorned with native pink-red flowers. There was a large, handcrafted, wooden table present in the center and plenty of seating for the squad's party of five, Phee, Shep, and Lyana. A variety of furniture was meticulously placed as well for general lounging and socializing. Stringed lights looped around the perimeter for a dreamlike setting in the evenings. Once again, the view from stone veranda was ageless.

"Make yourselves at home." Shep insisted. Fern didn't know where to begin with that statement—her first instincts were to patiently wait for Shep to return and announce supper was served. Then, her second thought was to offer to help prepare their meal with the mayor, but then remembered she didn't even know how to slice nor boil vegetables properly. She resorted to swaying over to Phee, who leaned her hip against the wall with arms folded and a nod. "Not too shabby, is it?"

"I—" Fern couldn't form the words. How am I still dumbstruck?! "No, not at all..." she resorted with an airy sigh.

"You look like you got more to say than that." Phee smirked. Fern averted her eyes to the view, wrapping another strand of hair behind her ear. From Shep and Lyana's home, she saw the sandy beaches hemming the shoreline like a cream-colored ribbon. A thin, curved peninsula protruded into the sparkling ocean; a lighthouse stood at its tip. The setting sun's radiance glowed upon the roofs of Pabu's suburban homes. Of course, there were countless things she wanted to say to the pirate, but she had no idea where she would begin...