C H A P T E R T W E N T Y-F I V E

FERN'S POV

The compass's whirling discord had us traversing through a dense charred forest, its sharp thickets nipping at my clothes and hair. Wrecker relieved some of the trouble by holding up the blackened branches for me to duck under, for which I kindly smiled with graitude. Omega, with Phee's unwavering encouragement, continued to lead the way with anticipation jittering through her whole tiny body with every pace. Looking ahead, I was certain our trail would park itself right at the base of the tallest mountain in the area. When we eventually reached our destination after what seemed like hours, the compass' irritating beeping quickened and then powered down just as fast.

"It's a dead end." Omega grunted with disappointment, shaking the mechanism in attempt to activate it again. "Maybe...we go around the mountain?"

"Or maybe, Half-Pint," I scoffed, crossing my arms with pleasure. "it's broken and we came out here for nothing."

"I believe it's telling us to go inside the mountain." Phee decided, and approached the base of the precipice. We all watched diligently as she unshealthed her vibro-knife and carefully scraped in the crevice between two boulders, in which one toppled over. Next, she cautiously reached her hand in, maybe to test for booby traps...or maybe to feel the mysterious breeze that ventilated from inside...It brushed across my face and wisped through my braid, sending a shiver down my spine. Phee gazed over her shoulder at us, grinning. "Hey, Big Guy, come here and help me move this."

Wrecker stepped forward and pushed aside the boulder with ease, only to initiate a brief rockslide with the finale being a physical metallic slit crashing down in front of us, revealing a legitmate pathway into the mountain...My jaw dropped, gobsmacked. Next to me, Omega gasped with awe, "It's a secret entrance!"

"Wow...It is a secret entrance." Wrecker repeated, just as amazed, and followed the young girl who couldn't wait to sprint inside. The others began to file in as well. Hunter turned to me when I didn't budge. "You coming?"

"No, thanks. I choose life."

"Let's hurry," Phee called to me. "There is nothing to fear!"

"That is what scares me."

"Fine!" Phee threw her hands up in a carefree motion. "Stay here while we collect the spoils. Mel will keep you company." I glanced down at her clunky droid, who honked and waddled in place, and I shrugged and sighed, "Fine by me."

"Are you sure?" Hunter asked. He wore his helmet, but I knew he was furrowing his brows with concern based on his tone. I waved him on with a fake smile. "Don't worry about me; you and everyone else better be careful. I'll be fine. I'll keep my comm handy, just in case. Besides, like Phee says, Mel will keep me company." I patted the droid's flat top with the tips of my fingers. Hunter gave a final nod and entered the shadowy passageway after Phee. My curled lips wavered in solicitude once he disappeared.

Not surprising, it was eerily quiet as I plopped myself on the boulder that Wrecker had knocked over. To pass the time, I began brushing off the ash that coated my boots, pant legs, and jacket. The substance practically wisped from the ground and hovered with any slight motion over it. My fingers subconsciously fiddled with my braid as I lazily observed the rest of the forest — but an intruding thought gnawed at my concentration...The corner of my mouth twitched when a picture of Omega and Phee flashed before my eyes. "Omega really does look up to her, huh?..."

Mel shuffled over to me and I shook my head with a faint simper. I tossed my braid over my shoulder and leaned foward onto my bent knees. "You've been all over the place with Phee, haven't you?" The droid gave a short honk. I scratched my fingernails across his rim, chuckling, "I pity you having to put up with her." I examined his components. "So you hold all the secrets of her adventures, huh? Care to show me a few while we sit here?"