C H A P T E R T H I R T Y-F I VE

The next few chapters is an Original Arc of Crosshair and Athena's first solo mission. The introduction to this arc took place during Chapter 29. This arc serves many purposes: gaining more background on Athena, revealing more of Crosshair's persona, and ultimately strengthening their bond to one another just to name a few.

Athena Quinn was created by me to involve Crosshair in this novel, and I've been proud with my progress so far. She may not seem much to some of you — perhaps just a tool to incorporate Crosshair — but I can assure you she is to become so much more...

THIRD PERSON POV

"There," Athena pointed from behind the brush she and Crosshair crouched behind. "that's the main entrance. Once we get in, it's a straight shot to the control center. Though, it's suspicious no one is standing guard."

"The insurgents have grown too comfortable with the lack of resistance since they've compromised it." Crosshair inferred. "The base itself is still under construction and had very little security. My guess is they have their entire squadron infiltrated inside for an ulterior motive. Where are the surveillance cameras?"

Athena fished out the portable holo-projector and switched on the layout of the Imperial facility. She then pinpointed two cameras opposite of each other at the main entrance and a third on the west wall facing them. "Since there is no one outside, I guarantee they are being monitored incessantly. Once you take them out, we will have to move quickly. I can bypass the door panel; we'll just need to be ready for a welcome party once they open."

"What are we waiting for?" Crosshair grinned.

Athena tossed the holo-projector in her pack as she rolled her eyes amusingly. She then unsheathed one of her vibro-knives, twirled it in her fingers, and struck a pose with it in her fist. "Let the fun begin." Crosshair smirked underneath his helmet and readied his rifle in position. "On my mark," The female clone nodded and prepared to dash the moment all three cameras were cut. Her heart pumped with excitement. "Now."

Pow! Pow! Pow!

Three precise shots knocked out surveillance and the two clones sprinted for the jutted entrance. Athena used the tip of her knife to pry the control panel from the steel wall. Her slender fingers swiftly detached and rewired without a single pause. Meanwhile, Crosshair remained unmoving, pointing his rifle at the door so the moment it opened he could snipe their opponents who awaited them on the other side.

"What is taking so long?" he questioned impatiently.

"I'm not a droid." Athena retorted without a single glance, focusing on her task at hand. "It takes a moment to reroute all power to one source, you know?"

"What do you mean?" Crosshair dropped his head just as the bounty hunter clicked in the last plug. The panel door split down the middle, but to their surprise, all there was to greet the two clones was a pitch-black, empty hallway. However, they both caught the distant clicking of heels and frantic shouting echoing off the metallic walls. "I transferred all power to this control panel." She rose to her feet and clapped her hands in satisfaction. "They are now in the dark as much as we are. Eventually, emergency power will activate. We got six minutes, tops."

Crosshair scoffed, impressed with the strategy, and flipped down his helmet scope before beginning his pursuit into the base, rifle up. Athena stopped him by gripping his arm. "That being said, it's still clearly a trap. Whoever is running in the opposite direction probably wants us to follow them."

"That doesn't change the fact we have to go inside anyway." Crosshair countered. Athena's mouth tightened, then she groaned, "This stealth mission is looking really lousy right about now..." She released the elite clone's forearm and slapped her hands together. "Welp, to certain death we go! For the Empire, right?" She wielded a blade and a torch, twirling them in both hands as she waltzed into the darkened base. Crosshair rolled his eyes and followed her.