C H A P T E R S E V E N T Y-S I X

THIRD PERSON POV

FLASHBACK...

"So, you and the ensign are close?" Mayday casually injected as he and Crosshair carefully trekked through the ice-coated cave. This time, they scanned the rugged, snow-covered ground as well to avoid triggering more pressure mines and/or any other surprises the raiders may have left.

"In what context?" Crosshair questioned, subconsciously slipping into a defensive demeanor.

"Well, I assume you've done missions together based on how well you two communicate and respond to each other." The commander paused as he rotated his head with a one-shoulder shrug. "Come on, how many?"

"Counting this one?" Crosshair said. "Two."

Mayday halted in his tracks with a light scoff. "Two?" He then whistled through his helmet's modulator, impressed. "That first one must've been some mission."

"In a way."

"What are you two going to do after this one?"

"I...don't know." the elite clone answered candidly. He swallowed the lump forming in his throat as his last conversation with his partner replayed in his head. "Quinn wants to leave the Empire."

"Hmm," Mayday sighed through his nose, then chuckled in his deep voice. "must be nice having that option. I presume she'll bolt once this mission is over?"

"Mhmm..."

"How about you?"

END OF FLASHBACK
————————————————————————

Crosshair gained consciousness in a detainment cell that was ray-shielded. His Imperial uniform had been stripped and replaced with dull-gray medical robes. As he leaned his back into the cool, metal wall, hanging his wrists over his bent knees, he scrutinized the guards patrolling the hallway in regular intervals through the red, electrical barrier. Simultaneously, his mind travelled to the corners of the galaxy and gradually recollected what happened and how he ended up here.

"I'm exactly where I need to be." Athena's words echoed.

"You did well, Crosshair. Remember that. You've done everything right."

"...I love you..."

The clone was unsure whether he'd heard that last confession...His memory was warped into a buckle seeing he'd just collapse from exhaustion. He recalled Athena's muffled screaming and blaster fire...Did he imagine that, too? Crosshair gripped the side of his head as a headache pulsated in his skull. He wanted to remember, but the harder he strained, the less he seemed to recollect.

The excrutiating, physical numbness he'd endure from the blizzards was ironically the most transparent. Subsequently, his unyielding will to return to the Outpost triggered more memories—that determination he felt to reach the base and find his partner had been relentless.

Her voice may be distorted, but Crosshair could see her. He could also feel her.

In the icebox of a depot, he recaptured his hand wrapped around her wrist and absorbing her warmth. His fingers buried in her raven hair, damp from the melted snow. Her calm breath upon his chin. He could even feel her concentrated eyes, dilated with anticipation, boring into his. On the platform, he'd fully immersed himself into Athena's cradle. Her hand closing over his and aiming the blaster at the Lieutenant Nolan together passed through his mind. He remembered pulling the trigger. There was a vague mnemonic of his face resting upon the ice-cold, metal surface afterwards...