C H A P T E R F O R T Y

THIRD PERSON POV

Athena woke up with the sensation of cool metal pressed against her cheek and the sun's warm rays shining in her eyes. She squinted until they adjusted and slightly raised her head to look around her — her mind briefly blipped on where she was. Her head then rolled over to find Crosshair next to her. When she realized she had fallen asleep with her cheek smushed on his armored bicep, she sharply sipped in air through her lips and her eyes nearly bulged out of her skull. She frantically scooted over, creating distance between them, in hopes when Crosshair woke up he wouldn't suspect anything.

However, while she neatly folded her bomber jacket she'd used as a blanket for her upper body, she subconsciously studied the soldier's face. In his sleep, his usual sneered appearance softened to a more peaceful expression. He remained unmoving with the exception of his chest rising and falling with a calm, steady pace. His head was supported by his left hand while his right arm, which Athena had nestled on, rested at his side. She had the urge to graze her fingers across his protruded cheekbone, for at this moment, she'd never seen a more handsome, yet complex, man...

What is happening to me? She impugned herself, fisting the V-neck slit of her soiled chemise. We're both still stranded. Can't I stay focused on the mission at hand?

"Crosshair," Ignoring her thoughts, she leaned over and gently rocked him awake by his shoulder. "wake up. It's time to keep moving and get off this planet." The elite clone deeply inhaled as his narrow eyes peeked open. Tucking her greasy hair strands behind her right ear, Athena scrunched her nose teasingly as her face poised over his. "Hello, there."

Crosshair, rather than flush with awkwardness, adjusted his head on his hand and raised a brow. "If you are going to hover, you can at least block the sun with your head."

The bounty hunter rolled her eyes with her own amused grin. While Crosshair picked up his upper body and stretched his arms above his head, Athena hopped to her feet and stomped out the remaining embers of their campfire. They gathered up their belongings, ate the last of their rations, and refilled their canteens. "I say we follow the river. We are bound to find some sort of civilization if we do."

"No objections here." Crosshair nodded. "Downriver seems like the best option."

"My thoughts, exactly."

The two clones hiked along the bank. The morning air was paired with a cool breeze. Around the river, there were an sufficiency of towering trees, providing more shade than the ravine had. These elements were much more pleasureable compared to the last two days, and it eased their minds enough to hold a casual conversation while they strolled.

Their luck would flourish when high noon peaked. A savory aroma filled Athena's senses and her mouth involuntarily salivated. She and Crosshair exchanged wide gazes, then proceeded to sprint until they reached the source. The female clone nearly shuddered with relief when she laid eyes on the small borough, their watery guide bordered the far right side of it. She snatched Crosshair's forearm with elation and pointed with her other at the left end. "A spaceport."

As they entered the main road that cut through the center district, they received many wary glances from the locals, particularly Crosshair since he still donned his Imperial armor. However, Athena didn't appear any less conspicuous: she was filthy from head to toe despite washing down in the river yesterday; her once-cream top was an unidentifiable smeared blend of grass stains, ash, and dried mud. There were tears in both her shirt and dirty black pants. Her short, raven locks had seen better days. Her belongings consisted of her bomber jacket stuffed in her bag and her singular vibro-knife clipped to her belt (she'd lost its twin in the Imperial base before it detonated).