C H A P T E R F I F T Y-N I N E

THIRD PERSON POV

Flames engulfed the fissure in the hull of the vessel. Hunter and Wrecker shielded the two female clones who didn't wear heat-resistant armor until they cleared the wreckage. In the distance, they caught the screeching of the reptilian beast that escaped its subverted prison.

Tech observed its retreat through his computer visor, locating its heat signature. "The creature appears to be headed in the direction of the village."

"We're the ones who let it out." Hunter said. "We have to neutralize it before it hurts anyone."

"How?!" Wrecker exclaimed. "Our blasters were useless on that thing!"

"That armor is inpenetrable." Fern sighed, glancing down at her vibro knife in her hand.

"Given the fact that the crew was most likely eaten by the creature, I doubt it is currently hungry—" Tech stated bluntly.

"It ate the crew?!" Omega gasped, backing into Wrecker while hugging her plasma bow to her chest. The muscular clone protectively set his hand on her shoulder. "Not helping, Tech!"

"Jeez, Half-Pint, what did you think when we didn't find any bodies?" Fern questioned, raising a brow.

"It ate the crew..." The young girl didn't acknowledge her as she was still processing the information.

"Access the lab files, and find out what species we're dealing with and how to stop it." Hunter ordered Tech before the latter could digress on the situation. The lift of his index finger was a clear indication that the sergeant had spared the squad a dilatoric lecture.

"I can help." Omega hummed, recovering from the shock of the situation. "I know my way around Kaminoan tech."

"There's Kaminoan tech in there?" Fern drew her head in astonishment, for this was the first time she was hearing about. The gears were churning in her brain as she veered her eyes back at the enflamed ship. This was, in fact, not a Kaminoan vessel, and the only other establishment that would possess such technology after the destruction of Kamino was...the Empire. And the only suitable and primary use of it was... "You mean to tell me this thing...is a clone of something?!"

"Possibly." Tech said. "That is a theory I can assess once Omega and I are in the system."

"Go." Hunter nodded, unfazed by the young girl's volunteering. "Fern, Wrecker, you both are with me."

The three bolted for the Marauder. Once aboard, Fern took the pilot's seat and initiated the take-off sequence. "I need eyes in the front and back." she asserted. The two men acknowledged; Hunter settled in the co-pilot's spot while Wrecker climbed up into the gunner's mount. She steered and accelerated the ship towards the village nestled in the mountainside. It was incredibly dark outside; clouds had hazed over the natural moonlight and stars that had illuminated their path earlier. Switching on the ship's searchlights, the glow of the grass and trees imitated a crimson-red ocean of swaying seaweed.

"See anything?" Wrecker shouted from the rear.

"Give me a second." Fern punched in a few commands into the computer that could track the creature's heat signature. "Zero, two, five. Try to at least drive it in a different direction. I am doubting even our weapons system will nick that armor..."

"Why do you say that?" Hunter asked. The sound of calculated cannon fire filled the air.

"I don't know..." Fern grimaced, her hands clutching the steering mechanism until her knuckles turned white. "but I'm getting a odd sense of dejá vù."

Abruptly, the rear of the Marauder jerked downward, causing Fern to momentarily lose control. A rapturing scuttle surged towards the front, rebalancing the ship. Hissing roars signified the creature had launched itself and attacked. But just as swiftly, it leapt off and disappeared.