Her

On the boat back to OBX, John B's scratched-out words have disappeared from my existence. All that stood in my head were JJ and Kie. Something almost happened between them on the island. Me and JJ were dating but I knew he wanted to break up. I think he's wanted to since we jumped off Ward's ship.

The moon shone over us, reflecting off the water from where I sat on the side of the boat. JJ was at one end of the boat and Kie was on the opposite.

I saw him sitting with his knees up and his hands drooped over his legs. I think he felt bad because he knows I saw it happen. Now he can't deny it like he did the last time I talked to him about it.

I got up from the uncomfortable chair I was sitting in and walked over to JJ. My bare feet touching the slightly wet boat, I sat down next to him with my feet in the water.

"Hey, J," I smiled at him. He didn't look up at me, but he wore a guilty look. "Penny for your thoughts?" I asked as I moved my tangled hair behind my ear from the gusts.

He just shook his head.

"I'm sorry." He whispered and moved to look up at me. "I..." He sighed heavily. "I can't even defend myself, baby." His sea-blue eyes were glassed over and he looked tired.

"I never wanted to hurt you." His voice gets caught and breaks so softly. JJ was rarely vulnerable like this. And, to know that I meant this much to him made my heart twist even more.

"I know." I gave a light-hearted smile. "I see the way you look at her."

He sighed and ran his hand through his blonde hair and tried to make me look into his eyes. But, I look out to the darkening horizon as I can't stand to watch him fall apart in front of me.

"I'm sorry, y/n. You're the sweetest person I've ever met, and you're way too good for me. Before you came along, I only had hookups and one-night stands. But you taught me to love, and you taught me not to leave." JJ explained with a half-drank beer in his hands.

"Then stay." I pleaded to him as I turned back to his overly sunburnt face plastered with sweaty curls. JJ turned back to look at Kie on the other side of the boat, then back to me.

"I don't want to say it." J placed a finger under my chin. He leaned in, looking at my lips but not in the usual seductive way. His eyes were only filled with salty tears, he looked at them as the last thing to remember me by.

"Before I go, one last one." He leaned his forehead on mine and moved his hand to caress my jaw. Our eyes closed, and I felt myself leaning in and then hitting his hot lips that drowned in alcohol. The kiss lasted longer than it should've, and when it was all said and done, JJ looked at me, shedding tears. "Goodbye, y/n."

JJ then got up and went into the glass room to sleep. I stayed out on the point of the boat but lay back so I could stare at the stars. Maybe they were meant to be.