Chapter 9: Julia Lehmann

August 28th, 1997 // 11:15 am

As Marcus and Darian made their way to the hospital on the second floor, their objective was clear: check on the condition of a newly turned vampire and search for any evidence that could help them locate the mysterious vampire they were after.

Upon arriving at the hospital, Marcus was impressed by the spacious and well-equipped facility, despite it being on just one floor. He observed several vampires being treated in the hospital, receiving excellent care and attention from the staff.

Marcus and Darian headed straight to the room where the newly turned vampire was receiving treatment from the chief doctor. Upon entering the room, Marcus noticed a chief doctor attending to the young woman's needs. To his surprise, he recognized her as Julia, whom he had trained with during his Vampire training days at the Pauldan State.

Julia was dressed in a white doctor's coat, a yellow t-shirt, and black pants. Her long hair was braided, and her eyes were a striking silver color. Despite the unexpected encounter, Marcus remained focused on his objective.

As the chief doctor turned to see Marcus, she recognized him immediately and exclaimed, "Marcus, is that really you? What are you doing here?"

Darian, noticing their familiarity, interjected with a question, "Wait, you two know each other?"

Marcus replied, looking at Darian, "Yes, we trained together at the Pauldan." He then turned to the chief doctor, Julia, and asked, "I'm here to check on the condition of this woman, and I had no idea you had become the chief doctor."

Julia smiled warmly at Marcus and explained, "Yes, I worked my way up the ranks, and now I'm in charge of this hospital. It's great to see you again."

"Likewise, Julia," Marcus replied with a warm smile. "Did you know that I am the inspector of police in this city? Why didn't you try to meet up with me once you became the chief doctor here and came to this city?" he asked curiously, raising an eyebrow.

"Indeed, I'm aware that you're the police inspector in this city. However, I've just arrived here to take on the role of chief doctor, and with the increasing number of patients coming in, not just vampires, but also humans in the separate section on the other side, the workload has been overwhelming. Both sections require separate treatment, leaving me with no free time to reach out to you," Julia replied, explaining her current situation.

"I understand," Marcus nodded in agreement. "It sounds like you have your hands full with your new role. But please, don't hesitate to reach out to me if you ever need any assistance or support."

After a brief moment of catching up, Darian cleared his throat and spoke up. "Alright, let's focus on the matter at hand and discuss this patient's condition."

"Absolutely," Marcus responded promptly. "I apologize for my digression. Julia, could you please brief me on the patient's condition?"

Julia responded eagerly, "Yes, sure." As she handed over the file to Darian, she revealed, "Her name is Maria, and as you can see from her file, she's been severely wounded by another vampire. However, due to her newly gained vampire powers, she's recovering at an astonishing speed. We're still uncertain when she'll wake up, but it could be tomorrow or the day after."

After Darian finished reading the file, he passed it on to Marcus, who then posed a critical question to Julia. "What if Maria suddenly wakes up and attacks the humans in the other section? That could create a significant problem, right?"

Darian then explained to Marcus, "No, that won't happen. She's under a magical spell that restricts her movements and ties her to the bed."

Marcus was surprised and skeptical, "But I don't see anything that's tying her down, Darian."

Julia chimed in, "Just try to touch her, Marcus, and you'll see what Darian meant."

Marcus gingerly approached Maria's bed and reached out to touch her, but he recoiled in pain as he received a shock. "Okay, I believe you now," Marcus admitted. "But what about treating her? Won't you get shocked, Julia, just like I did?"

Julia responded with confidence, "No, the magical spell affects everyone except me. It was cast on Maria with the exception of me because I was the one who treated her."

Marcus considered her response and asked, "That's reassuring. However, did you happen to find any traces of other DNA samples in her mouth? I noticed she had a significant amount of blood on her fangs and mouth, likely from the young man who was killed. But did you find any other DNA evidence apart from his?"

Julia confidently replied, "Yes, I did find another DNA sample on Maria's fangs, which I sent to our officers to identify the vampire it belongs to. However, it didn't match any in our database. I suspect it might be the DNA of the vampire who wounded her."

Darian looked puzzled and asked, "But how can you be sure that the DNA found on her fangs belonged to the vampire who attacked her? Maybe it belonged to a human, and that's why we couldn't find any matches in our vampire database."

Julia replied with conviction, "Our officers have already ruled out the possibility that it belongs to a human. They even checked the human database with the help of higher officials at the police department and found no matches. So, it must belong to the vampire who wounded her."

Marcus turned to Darian and nodded, "Darian, I completely agree with Julia. I believe that this extra DNA sample she found belongs to the mysterious vampire who attacked Maria. It's possible that Maria tried to defend herself and even bit the vampire in the process before she met her untimely demise."

Then, Marcus directed his attention to Julia and inquired, "Julia, did you manage to find any DNA under Maria's fingernails? Have you tried matching it with the new sample you obtained?"

Julia replied, "Yes, I did find a DNA sample under Maria's nails, and after running tests, I can confirm that it's a match with the another DNA we collected from the vampire's fangs."

Intrigued by this revelation, Marcus turned to Darian and said, "You see, Darian? This new DNA sample definitely belongs to the mysterious vampire. However, what baffles me is how the vampire's DNA doesn't match anyone in our vampire database."

Darian voiced his concern, "If this new DNA sample is indeed from that mysterious vampire, then he poses an even greater threat to our vampire community. He now has a vampcard without undergoing any special training, and worse, he is living among humans."

Marcus acknowledged Darian's words and replied, "Yes, you're absolutely right. That's precisely why we need to apprehend this vampire as quickly as possible, Darian."

Darian nodded in agreement with Marcus, and Marcus turned to Julia, "Thank you, Julia. Your findings are very helpful, and we will make sure to keep you updated on our investigation."

Julia smiled and replied, "Of course, anytime. Let me know if you need any further assistance."

 After thanking Julia, Marcus and Darian exited the room.

"Marcus, before we delve into the mysterious vampire case, there is something important we need to address," Darian said, his expression serious.

"What is it, Darian?" Marcus asked.

Darian replied, "I need you to go to the police station and inform the press that this incident was a tragic suicide. The two teenagers involved were deeply in love and wanted to get married, but their families denied their request, resulting in this heartbreaking outcome. Our officers will speak to their family members to ensure their stories match your statement. It's crucial that we keep this case as low profile as possible. I'll speak with the reporters and ensure that it's buried deep within the pages of the newspapers. The medical college is also doing its best to keep this incident as quiet as possible for the sake of their reputation."

Marcus nodded solemnly. "I understand the gravity of the situation, Darian. I'll go to the police station right away and do what needs to be done."

Without further hesitation, Marcus left the Enforcer's Building and headed straight for the police station.