Chapter 01

My feet froze at that sound. I could easily distinguish it from the hundred sounds that I came along with daily. This sound stuck to my mind like rust. I heard it in my nightmares. But it was not a dream. I was standing beside my fridge and holding a glass of water. It did not reach my lips because I froze in fear. I felt the energy gradually drain from my body. 

That sound of anklets at 0300 from the street made my heart pound fast.

I saw Vijay lying on the sofa, and the ashes of cigarettes spread on the floor. Pepsi cans and slices of pizza were still open, and the mice were enjoying the meal. He was sleeping fast. The AirPods were still in his ears.

"Vijay! Wake up"

I said to him slowly.

But he still didn't move a bit. What a lousy sleeper he was. I cursed him. I came close to him and tapped his shoulder.

"Vijay, wake up bro"

"What happened, why are you disturbing me," He said while rubbing his eyes.

"Vijay, the anklet sound is heard again. I told you last time, but you can't believe me,"

Now he sat on the sofa, rubbed his eyes, and took out his AirPods.

"Where is that sound," he said to me angrily

"I swear, I heard it again. I heard this anklet sound for two days."

" But why can't we hear it now?" he said while going to open the window.

" Stop it, don't go there," I said.

"Why do you act like a child?" he said while going towards the window. 

His back muscles were shining in the light. He was a tall man with a great physique. His muscles showed his dedication to his body. He always mocked me for having extra weight. His heart was also like his body, strong and brave.