Chapter 3

"Actually, it happened before I came to Delhi. As you know, I live in a rural area. Our culture is full of myths and folklore. I never believe in such things, but there was an incident I have never forgotten in my life. I was in 7th grade at that time.

 My cousin was going to marry, so he came to visit us. We slept on the patio in the summer. It was a common practice among people who used to live in villages. On that day, we all slept. The nights in the village were very quiet and calm. You could easily hear the sound of cricket from a long distance. But I did not hear the sound of cricket that night. I heard a thud sound.

 A sound of a very heavy object falling from the ceiling. I and my father awakened at the sound. In the meantime, we did not understand what happened. It was pitch dark; the clouds hide the moon. So we barely saw it on the patio. My father hold the lantern and he moved toward the steps that lead to the ceiling. I was behind him. 

As we reached the steps, I saw my cousin fall to the ground. My father hurriedly holds him in his hands. I never saw such a frightened face in my life. His eyes were dilated but his facial expression are show fear and extreme pain. I never forget that face. Then I heard the sound of an anklet, we look above and saw a shadow of a woman going towards the roof. The shadow leaped in the fields. And with her every step we heard the melodious sound of anklet."

"I bet she was her girlfriend," Vijay said and smiled at me.

"The height of the roof from the ground was approx fifteen feet. Even a man couldn't jump from there."

"So you want me to believe that this woman was an anklet witch"

"I don't want you to believe me, but this woman make my cousin mad.", I said to him and my heart was sad by remembering that incident.