"Almost Safe"

DAMIEN| POV

I wake in the night. A cold sensation goes up and down my arm. My arm hairs stand up from my skin. I sit up.

The sound of crickets signing deafen my ears. We didn't have a vehicle anymore. Still, we would be there tomorrow morning if we got up early and kept up the same pace we've been moving at.

Still waking myself up I sit down by a nearby creek and splash cold water on my face. It's about the closest sensation to a shower I've had in a few days.

Grrk!

Twigs snap nearby. I stand up swiftly drawing my knife from pure instinct. The area surrounding me is mostly clear apart from the occasional vegetation of a bush.

I scan the area with my eyes.

On the ground is a walker, crawling towards me. No legs attached to the rest of it's body. The smell was awful.

Blech. I thought I'd be sick.

I sunk my knife into it's skull.

Shk!

Just like that it was dealt with.

FAITH | POV

My arms stretched as I let out my first morning yawn. Actual good sleep? That was surprising. I used to hate camping as a kid.

Maybe it wasn't as bad as I made it out to be.

Desarie tapped me on the shoulder. "How you doing girl?"

"If I'm being honest, I'm not sure." I respond uncertain.

Desarie puts her coat on. "Shit if you ask me, it's like a free vacation." She says confidently as ever. Good to know she's in a good mood unlike her Dad and Terrance's Mom.

Miguel and Damien sat on a nearby log chatting as always.

The two of them were always together. Ever since the elementary. The rule with them was, if you saw one of them, you saw the other.

You just couldn't separate them.

I slung my backpack over my shoulders as the others got their stuff together.

I walked over to Damien and Miguel. "What are you idiots talking about?"

Miguel smirks. "Tell Damien that I totally destroyed him in that boxing match last year."

I palm my face. "Is that what this is about?"

"Yup." Miguel chuckles.

Damien starts. "I'll be the first to say I definitely knocked your ass out."

I shake my head. "C'mon you guys, let's get going."

We pick up our pace to catch up to Ray at the front of the group.

I notice Deja holding a picture of her grandparents in her hand as we walked. I rub her on the back. "We'll find them."

I try to reassure her.

Trying to reassure myself, that we were almost safe.

Author Notes

This was originally supposed to be a longer chapter but then I decided I'd cut this one short.

Sorry about that.

With that out of the way I wanted to warn you guys that chapters fifteen and above might be delayed for a few days.

The good news is I'll finish the next two chapters on time.

- monthings