"Lungs & Limbs"

DAMIEN | POV

Noon was settling in. We were behind. I thought that we would be there by the morning, but here it was, noon already.

We were held up by a passing herd of walkers.

Grrah!

The noise traveled through the field, sounding like waves in the ocean. Only this time it was a ocean of the dead.

I put my hand behind me.

"Shhh." I signaled to the others.

A walker noticed and started to stagger towards Monique.

Monique stutters back. "Wha- No no no."

She trips backwards falling flat on her back. She draws her gun.

I reach out towards her. "No!"

She fires off a round into the walkers head.

I snap back around to look at everyone else in horror. The herd slowly turns to focus on us. Everything is silent for a moment while everyone looks at each other then back at Monique.

Gurrk!

The herd moves faster than I expected. Within seconds the herd had separated me from the rest of the group.

I try to look through small gaps in the herd, but I can't see anything. Fear coils through my body. I was alone.

MIGUEL | POV

"What the fuck!" I curse Monique, balling my fist.

Everyone watches around me in the woods after we get to safety.

"Relax man." Terrance attempts to calm me.

I roar from deep down. "Relax?, She might've got him fucking killed!" I could feel my temperature rising and my head burning up in a fit of uncontrollable rage.

Faith jumped in. "Miguel is right, this one's on her." She shot Monique a mean stare and stormed off into the woods.

I followed close behind. "Faith wait up!"

She sniffled and wiped tears from her eyes. "I've gotta find him." She cried out to me.

"Don't worry I'm coming with you." I said.

She turned around with teary eyes. "Thank you."

DAMIEN | POV

I climbed my way up into a tree as I hid and waited for the herd to pass. Firing the gun was a stupid decision.

She paniced. I couldn't fully blame her, but I was still pissed. Angry for the wrong reasons in my head.

Guuhh!

They were so close the noise made it impossible to hear my own thoughts. I was still. So incredibly still. I didn't move an inch, praying that I wouldn't alert any of them.

Below was certain death.

I tried not to think about it as I waited on top of the tree. I was alone but I prayed none of them came running after me. It was dangerous. Too dangerous. Somehow I knew deep down the answer to that question was yes.

I knew that idiot Miguel was probably on his way now.

My eyes closed as I waited it out. There must've been hundreds of them. How could there have been such a high concentration of them?

Nevermind that, I stopped myself. I just had to wait it out.

DEJA | POV

I knew how the adults felt about going on without Damien. Ray tried to justify it to the rest of us by saying Damien was safe and he knew the way to Bush Park.

That was bullshit.

Everyone knew it. I'd never been so disappointed in Dad in my entire life. Same with Monique. Terrance was relatively quiet while we made our way to Bush Park without Damien, and without Miguel or Faith.

Three of our own lost in a single day.

How did this happen I thought to myself. I could tell Andrea didn't agree with my Dad either. Still it didn't matter he wouldn't let her split from the group.

Deep down I knew Andrea wanted to go with Miguel, but she kept her calm somehow. If that were Desarie I might not be able to say the same.

We tried to comfort Andrea but I think it only made her want to go after him more. So I stopped. It was for the best.

"Desarie." I called her over.

She came shoulder to shoulder. "Yeah?"

"How's she doing?" I asked.

"Not sure, but probably not good." She guessed.

She continued. "All we can do now is wait."

DAMIEN | POV

The herd was gone, and the coast was clear. I climbed down from the tree. I froze when I heard the sound of a click behind me.

Click!

"Don't move." A woman's voice said to me.

I slowly put my hands above my head.

"Now turn around slowly." The woman commanded.

When I turned around I saw a African American woman that looked to be in her early twenties holding me at gunpoint. She had short curly black hair and styled a dark hood.

She wavered her gun signaling me over to the tree.

"I don't want any trouble." I claimed.

Her silence and lack of the need to have conversation made me get a weird feeling in my stomach.

I continued the one sided conversation. "I was just waiting out the herd." I attempted to walk away.

She gripped her gun tighter. "Where do you think your going." I froze dead in my tracks.

"I'm leaving." I said firmly.

She looked me dead in my eyes. "Take me to your friends."

Author Notes

Who is this woman? What does she want? So many questions you guys might have. If you're still reading this far in that is.

The next two chapters are big ones so don't miss it!

I don't wanna say too much here or I might get carried away.

See you in the next chapter survivors.

- monthings