"Bright New Day."

song: older // 5sos (ft. sierra deaton)

~~~

"Okay! Let's count to ten and see if we all passed... Can't wait!"

Jake's smile was wide as my hands gripped the ends of the envelope tighter. Soon, all six of them did the same as Riki started to rub his palms together, creating friction to lessen his nervousness. It's been three months ever since we took our entrance exams for Seoul's Liberty of Music College and I have never felt my heart skip this quickly... until now.

It's obvious that I still chose to pursue this dream.
After all, it's still what I have left of the young me.

"One... Two...", Heeseung began to count, later leading us to the anticipation of whatever was about to show up in the letter. Every night, I've been praying to get at least a slot in the university because I just don't know where I'd end up to be. Mr. Hong used to tell me that he'd willingly refer me here if I asked him to but that's just the past. — I don't know what he thinks of me anymore after that happened.

After the fire was put out.

"Nine...Ten!", we all exclaimed, ripping the envelope's tabs in unison as my hands shook, taking out the letter from inside. The rest were quick to read the entire content of it while all I could do was stare, breath hitching in nervousness. God, I couldn't believe I was a lot more nervous than Sunghoon, who refused to talk about this specific "revelation" the entire day.

I expected to be just like Jungwon, who read the letter right away without flinching but things have changed and so did I. "... I passed!", he and Heeseung blurted out as they both snickered, finding it funny that they were still in sync whether they were dancing or not. "Me, too!", Jay then followed, giving Jungwon the tightest hug as I looked over at Sunghoon, who still didn't let out a sound even if he was already reading through the letter's words.

Then, he widened his eyes, shuddering for a bit as his lips slowly curled into a smile. "I passed... Fuck, I thought I wouldn't.", he breathed out, clutching his test as Jake started teasing him about it. "See? I knew you'd pass! What do you know? I passed too!", the joyful boy who suggested this whole opening ceremony cheered his best friend up, his hands slightly pushing the ice-cold figure skater back and forth.

But that wasn't over yet as Riki jolted upwards, jumping around the living room of Jay's house without care as it was definitely obvious to us that he passed the test, too.

And I was left there, still blankly staring at the folded paper, where the announcement was typed and I'd have to expect something at least. — Positive expectations or not, it sure is making me more nervous than ever. "Hey, Y/N!", Jungwon noticed me again, knowing that I had the tendency to get quiet all of a sudden. Well, I've been that way since I moved into that small town.

I don't think it's nice but at least it's something I'd actually do.
Thankfully, I'm still myself.

"Open it!", he was already smiling brightly, probably expecting that I'd get in. I was terrified of finding out what was written on that sheet. What if I don't even get in? I mean, we've done a lot of hands-on tests and even if I passed that, I still had to do great in the written ones.

However, I have no idea if I had done great. "... Oh- Yeah! I forgot!", I made up an alibi, stammering in the process before quickly opening the letter as my eyes started to read every word that was printed. Heeseung, the boy who sat next to me, took time to read the letter I held in my hands as well, showing his care. For some reason, it made me feel a lot more nervous than ever.