v Clean up duty

Waking up the morning after the hurricane Montana was brought back into reality. She no longer had a boyfriend and had lost her best friend, plus her house looked like a bomb zone. Reminding herself that her father was coming home today, Montana changes into some old clothes and began tidying up her yard. Luckily for her, there was no major damage done to their property, or if there had been it had already been cleaned up. I guess having money did have its perks. Montana knew the cut would have been hit way harder by the hurricane so once the yard looked acceptable she decided she'd head there and help out where she could. 

Not wanting to think about the betrayal of the two people she cared for most, Montana thought helping out on the cut would be a win-win situation. Knowing neither Ella or Nick would be caught dead on the cut she'd be safe, plus she'd get to see Heyward. 

After showering and changing her outfit; which consisted of a sage green bikini that she covered with some denim shorts that she had embroidered daisies onto the back pocket and an old cropped t-shirt. Throwing on her favourite pair of worn-out converse and her jewellery, Montana made her way to her kitchen and filled up her tote bag with a water bottle, sunscreen, her favourite corduroy cap she had thrifted and some old sunglasses. Once she had filled her bag she grabbed a second one which she filled with as many nonperishables as she could. Knowing the cut would have lost power, non-refrigerated items would help more. When her bag was filled to the top and the pantry barely looked like it had been touched Montana made her way outside, grabbing her skateboard and began her journey to the other side of the island. 

Feeling the wind dance through her hair Montana took in the damage hurricane Agatha had made to the island and as the gravel road turned to dirt the damage just continued to get worse. From fallen trees to broken windows to trees fallen in windows, Montana felt very privileged to live where and how she did. Swallowing dryly she continued further into the cut, her heart breaking seeing all the families and young children outside their broken houses. Remembering the food in her bag, Montana stopped to give it to the families as well as a warm smile and comforting words. Her bag was empty faster than she would have liked, Montana bid the last family goodbye with a promise to return soon. 

Looking to her right Montana saw Heyward's shop, giving it a once over she thanked whoever was above that no major damage had been done. Perching her board under her arm she made her way into the store, smiling as she noticed Mr Heyward heading out with a broom in his hand. Hearing the bell ring, the older man didn't bother to turn around "Won't be opening today, sorry, the storm gave us a full day's worth of cleaning". Running up behind the man, with her hand that wasn't holding her skateboard Montana grabbed the broom and made a beeline for the dock where she assumed most of the damage would be. "looks like you could use some help then, put me to work sir!" she said spinning around and saluting the man as she was now ahead of him.  Though she hadn't thought that through as both of her hands were full and the broom she had just taken from the man hit her face. 

Wincing slightly from the impact of the wooden broom, the girl awkwardly laughed and placed her skateboard and tote bag down and rubbed her head. Chuckling at the clumsy girl Mr Heyward gave her a grateful smile, "Miss Summers. You held up alright on your own last night?" Nodding her head with a big grin on her face Montana began sweeping the debris off the dock, it was only then she noticed another figure at the end of the dock hosing. "Putting pope to work I see" she laughed as the younger Heyward tripped over something, "looks like he'd rather be doing anything".  The man just shook his head with an amused grin plastered on his face, "this storm pushed us back a day of business, I'm going to use all the help I can get darlin'" the man sighed as they made their way down to where Pope was. 

Leaning the broom up against one of the wooden poles Montana paused for a moment and took in the damage the storm had done and the state of the marsh seeing it was far worse than she had initially expected. Litter was floating around and there were branches everywhere, sighing "Lucky you've got me here to help then sir, I don't have anything else to do today" she glanced over at the man who nodded his head with a warm smile. "It's the beginning of summer, you sure you want to spend it cleaning?" the man asked raising his eyebrows, giving the girl a questioning look.