Chapter 19

Lisa’s POV

I’m nervous. My heart almost want to burst out since it beats twice the normal. Sweat is trickling down on my face and even my hands are trembling, what would my relatives say?

They were right, I’m good for nothing. I’ll never get rich no matter how hard I try, no matter where I’ll go. Maybe Jennie was right all along— if bad luck is a person it would be me. The sound of my feet stepping on the ground make it more clear that I am now in Thailand, my hometown. Where I grew up and where the bad memories reside. If I could only choose how I live then maybe my parents would be here with a warm smile asking me to hug them. But this is my fate. Unlucky human being.

I’m still mad at Jennie on what she did, I know the girl hates me from the bottom of her heart but I didn’t expect her to be that bad. Imagine getting excited for a date but in reality you’re getting arrested because of being an illegal worker. It hurts me to the point that I want to forget that she exist but…..she’s Jennie Kim. Nobody would forget her since her face is plastered on magazines, TV and even on social medias. The only thing I could do is endure the pain she left and that’s enough reason to hate her.

Since I’m here already, why not look at the brighter side. I can use my charm to find a job for the meantime. I’m not gonna lower my pride to go back on my relatives house because they’ll only insult me.

“You can do this Lisa” I mumbled.

The first thing I did is to find a cheap place to stay on because I need to save the money left on my wallet. I walk from one apartment to another asking the price and comparing it, then I end up choosing the cheapest I’d found. I paid for 1 month rent. It wasn’t cozy as it look like since it’s like a haunted room, all the furniture are old and there are also cobwebs. What do I even expect? It’s cheap.

I removed the bedsheets and change it into something new because I didn’t know who slept on it or did they even use this room? I hope there’s no ghost or alien. That will be the death of me.

After fixing my things, I went out to buy some food and also few appliances that could be useful. I bought an electric water boiler and a portable butane stove where I can cook food. It’s better to have it than none, I was about to go back to my apartment after buying what I needed when I bump into someone.

“Sorry, I wasn’t looking in my way”

“No. I should be the one saying sorry”

She was pretty.

“Hey are you okay?”

I didn’t realized I’m staring at her and it end up like I’m being a creep.

“A-Ah yes. Sorry…it was just …uhm found you pretty” I nervously chuckled.

“Is that a pick up line? You’re like an old geezer who have daddy issues hahahaha”

“Ya! I didn’t mean to sound like that”

“Okayyyy daddy”

“Stop it”

She giggled “I’m Somi. Jeon Somi”

I took her hand as she offered a handshake.

“I am Li-… I mean I’m Pranpriya Manoban but call me Priya for short”

“Okay Priya. Hmmm looks like you newly moved”

My brows furrowed “How did you know?”

“You bought new stuff, the common needs to be exact. Where’s your apartment?”

“Now you sound like the old geezer or should I say an old stalker”

She slightly punch my arm “Ya!”

“Uhm I better get going since it’s already a bit dark and I’ll gonna catch some rest, I need to wake up early tomorrow so I can find a job”

“You’re looking for a job? We have a vacant position at the restaurant, if you don’t mind being a waitress though”

My eyes went wide “Really? I’m gonna accept your offer! But….I don’t have any requirements to submit”

“Its okay! You can give it whenever you want, besides I’ll be your boss. I’m cool even if you don’t give any proof you’re not a bad person”

I chuckled “That was a good joke”

“I’m not joking duh”

“Really? I don’t know how to thank you”

“Be a good person. That’s all that matters”

I’m really amazed to met a person like Somi, she was so kind and pretty.

“Quit staring old geezer hahahahaha your work starts at 8 AM sharp. Don’t be late. I’m counting on you”

“Thank you Somi. I guess I was destined to meet you”

“Oh cut the rubbish Priya, what you just said have a double meaning hahahaha”

“Then I think you need to cleanse your mind geezer”

“Ah so you’re casually talking to your boss, that’ll be deducted to your salary”

“Eh? I didn’t started yet that was unfair!”

We both laugh at our silliness.

“I’m counting on you Priya, see ya tomorrow”

“Yeah. Thank you Somi. See ya”

We part ways after that brief encounter, my smile grew wider since I don’t have to exert much effort to find a job. Guess I’m still a little lucky getting back here. Waitress isn’t as bad as I think of it.

This will be the start.

New me.

I’m not Lisa anymore. From now on I'll be using my birth name. I'll be Pranpriya Manobal.