chapter 8

it was just trevor and cole alone on the deck. trevor couldn't stop looking over at cole, who was texting away at his phone. cole is never that engaged with anyone ever. he also had a serious expression on his face.

"who are you texting, cole?" trevor asked while leaning over to get a peek at the contact name. he was very nosy and needed to know everything, especially if he thought it had something to do with a girl.

cole locked his phone and said, "tori."

trevor furrowed his eyebrows, "i know we're supposed to all be in a groupchat, but jack hasn't made that yet. how did you get her number then?"

"bro, why do you care so much?" cole laughed.

"i don't care! i was just simply asking a question!" trevor said maybe a little louder than he intended.

cole wasn't buying trevor's act but decided to ignore it and replied, "yeah, okay. i got her number from jack. any more questions, z?"

trevor had loads of questions. what were they talking about? why were they texting? is cole interested in her? trevor was starting to get jealous even though he's hardly talked to her.

"what are you guys talking about?" jack asked while walking onto the deck.

cole thought this was the perfect opportunity to tease trevor. cole smirked and nonchalantly stated, "trevor was just asking me some questions about tori." jack's eyes darted over to trevor who looked like a child who had just been caught stealing a cookie.

"what about tori?" jack questioned with his arms crossed. he was starting to act a little like quinn which started scaring trevor.

cole answered, "he was jealous that i had her phone number and was wanting to know how i got it."

trevor was trying to figure a way to play this off, but came up with nothing. it didn't help that he couldn't even figure out why he had reacted the way he did. it took him by surprise.

"is that right, trevor? does someone have a crush on tori?" jack teased.

trevor rolled his eyes, "no, i don't have a crush on her. i just met her a couple hours ago."

"there is a thing called love at first sight," cole quickly fired back and shrugged. jack gave cole a high five and started laughing. trevor was not as amused as his two friends.

"this reminds me, i need to make that groupchat with tori. give me a second!" jack started typing on his phone. next thing trevor knows, his phone dings and a groupchat appears on his phone.

trevor saw the name and death glared at jack, "seriously, you had to name it 'trevor is in love with tori?' you couldn't come up with anything better?"

jack didn't have any time to respond because alex bolted through the back door and yelled, "trevor has a crush on tori! what did i miss?"

trevor said defeated, "i do not have a crush on tori!"

alex stared at him for a bit, trying to read his facial expressions. "yeah, i don't believe a word he says. he's in the denial stage,"alex told cole and jack.

"i think cole is the one with a crush on tori," trevor retorted. jack and alex switched their gaze from trevor to cole.

cole looked back and forth between jack and alex. "you can't seriously think i like tori," cole said.

jack shrugged, "you did ask me for her number."

"yeah, to apologize to her," cole replied.

trevor was finally going to find out what they were talking about. it bothered him that cole was being secretive about it. usually, they told each other everything.

"apologize to her for what?" trevor questioned.

cole huffed, "you guys being idiots and clearly making her uncomfortable." cole made eye contact with jack after he said that. it was something that wasn't unnoticed by trevor.

"when did we make her uncomfortable?" alex crossed his arms. jack could tell that cole didn't know how to handle the situation and jumped in for him.

jack told alex, "you know, the whole dating quinn thing. she's dealt with that for awhile now and it just bothers the two of them sometimes."

alex started to feel bad, "shit, do i need to apologize to her now? i meant it as a joke."

trevor stopped paying attention after that bit. he was trying to piece everything together, but it still felt like something was missing. cole would never hide something like that from him. why would their conversation be so private?

"earth to trevor!" jack tried waving his hand in front of trevor's face.

trevor snapped back to reality and said, "sorry, what? i zoned out for a bit."

jack rolled his eyes, "yeah, we could tell. anyways, tori texted in the groupchat and you probably want to read it."