chapter 42

when tori heard ellen say they should do something fun for her last night in michigan, she was thinking something along the lines of mini golfing or having a nice bonfire. tori was not thinking of going to a bar and getting drunk, yet this was exactly what happened. it was clear to quite literally everyone that tori had maybe three too many to drink. her words were hardly comprehendible at times and she was walking around like a baby gazelle. it was so bad that she had two babysitters, quinn and trevor. neither one of them had seen her in a state like this before and were hoping they wouldn't have to ever again.

"tori, i think we need to go home," quinn tried telling the brunette who began pouting at his words.

tori whined like a toddler, "but i'm having so much fun!" she stomped her foot on the ground and crossed her arms. besides this interaction, it could be said that tori was fun and carefree drunk. it could be noted that this changes when someone says something she doesn't like.

quinn and trevor looked at one another and knew this was not going to be an easy battle. there was going to have to be some convincing in this ordeal. trevor tried reasoning with his girlfriend, "you can have fun back home too!"

"why do i have to have fun at home when they can have fun here?" tori pointed at jack, luke, cole, and alex.

quinn answered, "the real fun is back at the house and they're not invited."

this answer was not suffice for even drunk tori. was tori childish when drunk? yes. was she naive? absolutely not. she knew quinn was lying, but at this point her feet were starting to hurt. she decided she would go home but not without making one more request. she was enjoying annoying her boyfriend and older brother figure. "i'm not going home unless cole does," the brunette narrowed her eyes at quinn.

"i'll go talk to cole," quinn huffed noticing this was the only way to get intoxicated tori back to the hughes household.

this left trevor and tori to themselves. the girl glanced over at quinn and cole and saw quinn attempting to convince cole to leave. when she saw that quinn had been successful, she diverted her attention back to her boyfriend. he was already staring at her when she looked up at him. "what?" tori asked.

trevor chuckled and shook his head, "you are so difficult when you're drunk!"

"i am not drunk!" tori announced partially offended.

before trevor was able to rebuttal, quinn finally returned with cole. cole did not seem overly happy to be leaving so soon, especially since the rest of his friends were able to continue to party. on the other hand, cole realized it had to be done in order to get tori sobered up. considering she had a flight to catch tomorrow morning, it was crucial that she got water and a place to rest.

tori noticed that cole had joined them and gave him a huge hug while saying, "cole, how i've missed my best friend so much!"

as cole was being engulfed in a hug, he said to quinn and trevor, "i have never seen tori so affectionate before."

"i have," trevor smirked. quinn flicked the back of his head. he did not want to hear anything about what did or did not happen in trevor and tori's spare time.

cole rolled his eyes and responded to tori, "i've missed you too! now, let's get you off of me and into the car."

instead of obeying cole and unlatching herself from him, she managed to wrap her legs around him like a koala bear. quinn and trevor watched cole try to get tori off of him but it was no use. she was not letting go. this made it so the only way to get tori to the car was to carry her.

since cole was carrying tori, quinn and trevor were a few feet in front of the two. upon reaching quinn's car, quinn joked, "trevor, it looks like you've been replaced as the boyfriend."

trevor turned back around to look at tori and cole. there was absolutely no way that cole could ever replace him. cole looked like he had his hands completely full and didn't know what to do. trevor laughed, "yeah, no shot of that ever happening. cole looks like he needs a drink."

when cole reached the car, he plopped tori down on the cement. she had finally decided she was going to stand on her own two feet. cole faced trevor and said, "she is all yours, man. you can have fun with her in the back."

and with that, quinn got into the driver's seat with cole on his right. trevor opened the door for his girlfriend and made sure she carefully got in. once she was buckled in, trevor got in behind cole. before quinn could even back out of his parking space, tori shouted, "i want aux!"

before allowing cole to hand the aux over to tori, quinn asked, "what exactly are you wanting to play?"

"taylor swift," the girl responded in a duh tone. who else could she possibly play while intoxicated? plus all the guys present were swifties too.

tori saw quinn glance at trevor in the rear view mirror. the two were silently having a conversation. trevor nodded over in tori's direction and quinn let out a sigh, "cole, let her have it."

the girl squealed in excitement and immediately pulled up her favorite song. cruel summer by taylor swift came blasting out of the car's speakers. this song reminded her so much of trevor. throughout the song, she sang directly to trevor. it was extremely off key especially since she was drunk. cole and quinn were watching tori serenade trevor in the back and couldn't help but laugh.

then, the bridge was about to start playing. tori and trevor had never said those three little words. tori, in her drunk state, had the urge to tell him how she truly felt. she did love him. she had never felt so many feelings before in her life. tori wanted to shout it from the rooftops the love she had for this boy.

everyone in the car joined in for the bridge, even quinn who was safely trying to get the brunette home. "i'm drunk in the back of the car and i cried like a baby coming home from the bar," the boys sang while tori half-giggled half-sang.

tori stopped singing while the rest of them continued. she was preparing herself. trevor noticed the slight change in behavior and grew worried. "what's wrong?" trevor asked, but tori could not hear over quinn and cole screaming.

tori saw trevor's lips moving but could not understand what he was saying. "what?" she tried shouting back.

trevor asked again, "what's wrong?"

meanwhile, cole and quinn had gotten to the end of the bridge and screamed at the top of their lungs, "and i screamed for whatever it's worth "i love you, " ain't that the worst thing you ever heard?"

this was tori's moment. she had a feeling she might regret this in the morning, but she didn't care. she wanted to tell him now even though she felt like she could pass out at any given moment. the alcohol was starting to finally make tori crashed but that didn't stop her. tori leaned in closer to trevor and said, "i love you."

trevor's eyes widen, unsure if he had heard his girlfriend correctly. when trevor looked confused, tori repeated herself again. this time, trevor knew exactly what she said and he was shocked. he figured the alcohol must be talking. before trevor could even spit a word out, tori had made herself comfortable in his lap and fell asleep in an instant.

"trevor, what's wrong with your face?" quinn questioned as he turned down the volume and glanced back to see how the couple was doing.

the boy in the backseat replied with disbelief laced in voice, "i think tori just told me she loved me."

cole quickly whipped his head around. "did you say it back?" he interrogated his best friend.

"no," trevor quietly said. he could tell that cole and quinn were confused. they knew he was head over heels for this girl. trevor continued, "i don't think she meant it. i mean she is drunk. she probably didn't even realize she said it."

quinn pointed out, "drunk words are sober thoughts." cole nodded his head in agreement.

the car was silent for the rest of the journey home, leaving trevor with only his thoughts. could it be possible that tori actually meant it? quinn did bring up a valid point, but he still had his doubts. part of him believed she did know what she was saying and that part of him felt like a dick for not saying it back. trevor was hoping this wasn't going to make things awkward in the morning if she even remembered it.