Chappie 1

I've lived in this town for my whole life. I've never liked living in the country. Every time we visit my grandparents in the city I don't want to leave. I'm not liked at school. When the school is filled with people in jeans and flannels nobody wants to be friends with the girl with a dress and heels on except Cat. Ever since 3rd grade Cat and I have been best friends. Although we have been friends forever she can't deal with my drama filled life

I run outside and get in the family truck. Its was covered in rust when my mom bought it and now its worse. I get in and put the keys in the ignition. I say a quick prayer asking that it will start and it does surprisingly. I see my mom run out of the house just as I pull away. I wipe the tears away as I drive towards the cemetery with the setting sun behind me. as i drive through the small town I see the same little stores that i grew up going to. Once I'm there I dash toward the gravestone.

"Jay, I think that they're splitting up. Ever since you left there's no laughter. I feel like there's no one to talk to but you, except you can't help me anymore." I dry my tears and read the granite gravestone again.

"Jacob Hillridge ." I say my voice like a whisper in the wind. I say goodbye and walk towards the truck. I get in and stare at the old steering wheel trying to decide where to go. I pull out my phone to call Cat when I remember that she has trumpet lessons. I decide to just drive until I'm ready to confront my parents. I drive towards a gas station and turn the radio on. Not long after leaving the cemetery I hear sirens behind me. I pull over and hope that the officer just wants to say hello. I roll down the window and listen to the usual request from a cop.

"License and registration?" His nasally voice comes out. He looks like a doughnut hole, dressed up to look like a cop.

"I'm sorry but I don't have one yet." I reply quietly hoping that he's in a good mood today and let's me off with a warning. "Do you have an adult. He shines the flashlight into the car. He beady eyes shining into the darkness of the car illuminated only by his flashlight. "NO! He says after peering inside. "Come with me." He screeches pulling open my door. I get in the police car and tell him my address. As we get to my house I hope that it's my dad that opens the door but instead it's my mom. The officer straightens up and pulls at his uniform.

"Ma'am your daughter was driving without a license." He says trying to sound and look important. I slowly look up. Her demeanor is calm and isn't angry. Something must have happened.

"Thank you officer. Can we talk later it's late?" The officer smiles and nods at her as he makes his way back to his car. I run upstairs to my room before my mom could stop me. When I get to my room I don't hear her yell for me so I get into my bed before she can give me a lecture. I close my eyes and tell myself everything will be ok as I drift off to sleep.