Chappie 4

The sun is setting when I finally arrive home leaving streaks of vibrant pink soft purple and beautiful shades of yellow and orange. I slowly enter the house as not to alert my parents of my presence. But alas it is a loss cause seeing as how my mother is in my room putting things into my book bag.

"Oh no is she sending me to boarding school." I think worriedly. She must of caught my horrified expression.

"You're going to Connecticut to visit grandparents. Your dad will be here around six to take you so be ready by then." After she says this she pulls herself up into a straight-backed position and briskly leaves the room. I get the vague feeling that after this trip my life won't be the same.

I pack my name brand clothes. I always save them for the trip up north. These country people wouldn't appreciate style if it came and knocked them cross-eyed. All country people care about is hunting, their crops, dirt and more dirt. I start looking through the bag my mother packed to make sure she put the correct items in it.

"Eww what is this." I think disgustedly as I pull out the dollar store sunglasses, sunscreen and cheap makeup. I quickly dump it out. If I went to Connecticut looking like that I would be a laughing stock.

I pulled my mini duffle from my closet and put in my 'EMERGENCY STYLE BOX'. My 'style box' contains Mac Makeup. Something that country people just don't have the class to appreciate. I also put in some designer sunglasses and a few other things. Every designer thing I had I saved up for. For a few years I saved up money through fall and winter to buy myself nice things for the summer.

This year I am proud to announce that am a proud owner of a Rebecca Minkoff bag. The rest of my money and I'm not proud to admit went towards my coffee addiction. I blame Cat for this. One day she got it on her head to take me to a cute little 'mom and pop' cafe and have me try a mocha coffee. After that I could not resist coffee until I realized I would need money for school clothes. I finish packing and set my bag on the floor at the foot my bed.

I walked downstairs and sit at the table. My mother doesn't even acknowledge me as she sets the table. She puts two plates on the table. I remember a time when there was four plates on the table and it was full of laughter and joy. But now it's just the two of us in a very awkward silence. Tonight's dinner is ham and green beans. The silence at the table, but neither one of us wants to talk about what happened. I finish eating my food and excuse myself to my room taking two steps at a time to avoid the 'elephant' in the room. I'm in my room watching T.V. when my phone bings. I open it up to find a new message from Cat.

Cat: Where did you go today?
"Wow did she finally notice I left?" I think sarcastically to myself. I wait for a little bit until I respond.
Me: You were busy and I needed to leave.
In my head I imagine my word sharp and curt.
Cat: I'm sorry :( Wanna come over tomorrow?
I snort and look at my bags on the floor of my room.
Me: I'm going to Connecticut.
Cat: Ok when were you gonna say something?
"Oh my gosh!" I think. "Is she for real? Doesn't she think I would have told her if I knew." At this point I can feel the anger bubbling under the surface of my skin. "Who does she think she is!" I angrily type my message to her and slam my pointer finger on the send button.
Me: DO YOU OWN ME?
Cat: Whatever I would think you would tell your best friend that you will be gone for awhile
Me: Best friend? You didn't notice when I left the store!

With those words I sufficiently end the conversation with Cat. She doesn't even bother responding she knows I'm right and has given up