Chappie 5

Brriiing! My alarm goes off once again.

"Just five more minutes. The sun's not up so why am I up?" I think and for the fourth time this morning. I slowly poke my hand out from under the covers bracing from the cold air that follows my hand is just above the button when my phone rings. I turn off the alarm and answer my phone. With my head still buried under the covers my voice comes off muffled

"Srallao?" I say.

"I'm guessing you just woke up?" My father's voice comes out from the other end in a light merry tone.

"Yezs." I say my voice still muffled by my comfy pillow.

"I'm just letting you know that I'll be there to pick you up in twenty minutes." I can hear the laughter and lightheartedness in his tone.

I hang up the phone and brace myself for the cold air of my room. I climb out of my bed and hurriedly dress and finish packing. I run down the stairs and into the kitchen and get some snacks. I get myself an apple and a bottle of juice.

I walk into the hallway passing what's now the basement. I notice that my mom replaced the old cracked wooden door that used to sit there. I stand there for awhile then turn the knob and walk down the stairs. I turn on the lights and walk through the den and to the poster and picture covered door. I look at a picture of these flower that Jay was obsessed with photographing. I pull it off the door and open the door and flip on the lights. I tear up when I see that my mom has begun putting his things in boxes. I start to put some things back in their place when I realize I need to go outside to wait for my dad.

I grab my bags and rush out the door with two minutes to spare. I'm waiting outside when my dad pulls up into the driveway. I throw my bags into the back of the car and climb into the passenger's seat.

"Hey dad!" I say as I shut the passenger side door.

"Good morning." He replies as he pulls out of the drive way.

I'm so tired this morning but my dad just won't stop talking. He's like a jabber jay, just yap, yap, yap. I look at the clock and yawn 6:30. If the sun isn't awake then why am I? I effectively end one conversation only to have another started.

"How can he find so many things to talk about?" I wonder silently to myself. After about another half hour of this I just make up a random excuse.

"Dad." I call out weakly. He stops talking and glance over at me. "I don't feel so well I'm just going to go to sleep."

"Oh okay." He sounds disappointed. But at this point I can only think of the sleep and the sweet dreams that will follow. I roll over on my side to face the window and close my eyes and drift off to sleep.