Jared

Me: So what's going on here?

Evan: I dunno.

Me: I. Um. Are we...

Evan: I think I'd like that.

If that's what you want.

Me: Of course I do.

Evan: Really?

Me: That's all I've ever wanted, Evan.

Evan: I...

Me: Just don't say anything.

I put my phone away. So does Evan.

"What the heck is going on here?" Connor asks.

I glance at Evan and he nods. "We sort of got back together..."

"Seriously? That's great guys! You seriously- I'm so glad!" Connor looks genuinely happy, which is strange.

"You. I... What?" Evan is confused.

"Jared was pretty messed up without you, Ev. I'm glad you've decided to come to your senses about him." Connor says.

"I wasn't that bad!" I defend myself.

"You were that bad."

"I was not!"

"Jared, you know you were bad. Stop lying." Connor has a defiant and cocky grin on his face.

"Whatever."

Connor stands up suddenly. Half a second later, the doorbell rings.

"People." He says. He runs down the stairs.

"A mess, huh?" Evan asks after a moment of unbroken silence.

"Yeah. I was pretty screwed up."

"I'm so sorry."

I give Evan a gentle kiss. "I'm okay now."

Evan's cheeks are a light shade of pink. He kind of looks adorable right now.

"Alright, lovebirds. My friends are here, be decent." Connor comes inside with four boys following him.

One wearing a red sweater and glasses. Holding a slushie. The definition of gay (I mean, he's holding the hand of the next guy. He's at least sort of gay).

One dressed in camo shorts and a blue tank-top (the one holding Michael's hand). He's really, really short. He has the front bit of his hair dyed red, and his arms are covered in burn scars. I would know what those look like.

Another wearing a striped shirt and a blue jacket. Super tall. Looks like someone who would buy a supercomputer pill from Japan out of the back of a sketchy Payless shoe store and let it ruin his friendship with the boy in the red sweater.

The last person to enter is another really tall dude with no distinct features. He looks kind of athletic, maybe? He looks nervous, too.

"Hey guys." Blue jacket speaks.

"How's it hangin'?" Red sweater adds.

"I'm Jeremy." Blue sweater.

"Michael." Red Sweater.

"Rich." The short boy adds. "And that'th Jake." He gestures to the nervous-looking boy.

"Wow, Connor. You have friends?." I joke. Then I acknowledge the newcomers. "Hey."

"Hi." Evan squeaks. I remember that he doesn't like people. I wrap my arms around him and pull him close. It feels good to be able to do that again. Really good. It seems as though Evan agrees, because he sinks into me and rests his head on my shoulder.

Just like we used to.

Things are getting back to normal for us. Even if it took a couple years. Things are finally getting better. Let it stay this way, please.

Everything's okay.