Jeremy

"What do you mean by that?" I ask.

A look of panic washes over Jake's face. I'm intrigued. I don't break eye contact with him while I take a few Band-Aides out of the box. I still keep my eyes on his face as I unwrap the first Band-Aide.

Finally, Jakes speaks. "I. Um. I did not mean to say that out loud."

"Welp. Now you owe me an explanation." I grab his hand and cover the broken skin. I do the same with the next hand. Two large square bandages per hand. That's how long it takes for Jake to speak up again.

"It's... It's nothing." He says.

"Yeah, ri-" I'm cut off immediately by him putting a hand over my mouth.

"I really like you, Jeremy Heere." He says. "Like, um, non-platonically. And I get it that you're straight and all that but I just needed to get it off my chest and ohmygosh I'm never nervous unless I'm around you. Ohmygosh I'm sorry, I should shut up-"

"Yeah." I say. "You should probably shut up."

He nods, opens his mouth to speak. I don't give him time.

"Because what you're saying is stupid. Let's start with the most obviously stupid thing: I am not a likable person, Jake. And I definitely shouldn't make you nervous. I'm a pretty big nothing. People like me don't make people like you feel like they need to say something. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The dumbest thing you've said though, probably ever, is that I'm straight. Heck. No. That's B.S. And, for what it's worth, I'm pretty non-platonically attracted to you, too." I cannot believe I said all of that. Even as the words were coming out of my mouth, I was surprised.

"Well, um. Sorry for calling you stupid." I say after a few seconds of quiet.

Jake lets out a shaky laugh. "You're good."

He's running his fingers over the Band-Aides. It's almost as if he likes the pain.

"You need to let those heal." I say, because WHAT ELSE AM I SUPPOSED TO SAY?

"Oh. Um, yeah." He stops poking at the bandages for about 2 seconds before starting up again.

"Stop." I say, grabbing his wrists.

"Make me." He replies with a smug smile on his face.

Only one choice now. You know what happens.

I smash my lips to his.

I'm grinning like a madman when I finally pull away.

Maybe I am a madman. I'm crazy.

But that's fine.

Crazy is fine, as long as crazy makes me happy.

"You're such a nerd." Jake says.

"Yes, yes I am." I say. We both laugh, lost in the moment.