Evan

T/W: Emotional/verbal abuse and mentions of physical abuse

I nod, trying really hard to keep a smile on my face. It's difficult, with Mark staring into my soul like he thinks it will make me disappear.

"Everyone sit!" Mrs. Kleinman demands playfully. She still has her apron on, carrying a pot of something (pasta? Her pasta is amazing), pointing at the table with her foot.

We all obey her order, and sit down at the dining room table. Jared sits to my left, and my mother sits to my right. I am protected. Except, Mark sits across the table from me. He does this on purpose. Mrs. Kleinman places the pot (of pasta, I was right!) in between my father and I.

I'm so lucky to have the Kleinmans as a second family. They're all so nice and understanding. Even Alex, who I just noticed is not here.

It's like Mrs. Kleinman is reading my thoughts. "ALEX, DOWNSTAIRS!"

Alex is Jared's 14 year old brother. He, being an annoying little middle-schooler (he started schooling a year later than most kids do), doesn't like to be around his family very much. But he's still nice.

Alex stomps down the stairs, rolling his eyes. He sits in the only open seat, the one next to his mom. He immediately goes to pull his phone out, but Mrs. Kleinman snatches it out of his hands.

"Family time." She says, smiling. Not cruel, just matter-of-fact.

Mrs. Kleinman tells us all to take as much as possible. I, although my greater instincts tell me not to, follow her orders.

"You're going to eat that much?" Mark asks.

"Um. Yes? Is there a problem?" I reply quickly.

"No, not at all. I just thought... with how you look right now..."

And that's all it takes for Jared to be on his feet.

"Leave. Him. Alone." He says to Mark, who puts his hands up in false surrender.

"I did nothing wrong! I was asking an honest question."

"Maybe you should just shut up next time." Jared looks like he's going to throw a punch. I touch his hand. He takes a deep breath and sits down.

"I'm alright." I lie. The words really stung. I guess I didn't expect him to have a go at me so early on. Jared raises a suspicious eyebrow. I give him a look that says "really, I'm fine." Then I realize that the room is quiet and everyone is looking at me. Or, Jared and I, more likely.

"So my son is still gay." Mark starts the conversation back up.

"Yeah." I say. "But that's really not your problem. I'm not your problem."

"I'm your father."

"No, you aren't. Sure, I'm 50% you, but that doesn't make me your son. You left. Don't try and go back on that, Mark." I say his name like it's the dirtiest word I can think of.

"I didn't want to leave!" He yells.

"Maybe that's true, I don't know. But the way you treated me and mom gave us all the reasons to make you go." I turn to Theresa, Mark's second wife. "Does he do it to you, too? Or to him-" I point to Jason (my replacement) "-or her?" I motion to Hailey.

"I-" Mark starts to talk. I cut him off, feeling more confident than I ever have.

"I wasn't talking to you." I say. I keep eye contact with Hailey. She likes me, sort of. Or, she used to. I used to be forced to call her every week, and she enjoyed it. I didn't mind it either.

"Does he hurt you, Hailey?" I ask. She stares at her hands. I might need to push for information. "Hailey, it's not your fault if he does. It's him. Okay?"

She nods.

"Help me." She whispers. She's quiet, for a 15-year-old girl.

That's all it takes for me to know.

"How could you?" I return my attention to Mark. He shrugs, as if it doesn't matter to him. Indifference. He doesn't care, it's not a big deal to him.

"You do realize that this would be considered abuse? No. It is abuse." I tell him.

He shrugs again. He doesn't think anybody would report him. He's probably threatened them all.

"I know you've probably made them promise to keep their mouths shut. But you never said a word to me about it. I can turn you in. I could do it."

"You wouldn't." Mark says with a slimy, disgusting grin on his face. He looks like the Cheshire Cat.

"Oh, I definitely would. Will. It's a little past due, dontcha think?"