Fluke

Time was once more flowing like a rapid river. She was comfortable in spite of every last one of them saying she was still too fresh to carry out Astrid's plans. Irksome. She just wanted to prove herself. There was a looming problem in her mind however. If she'd gotten into any trouble, not even Gweneith thought she could dig herself out of it. Getting caught was a threat. The prospect both excited her and set in an anxiety that might be the very death of her. She looked to her left arm where the band covered her shame. Never had she been so happy to have a reminder of the weakness she felt after the ordeal. She could do it. She did do it. So she stood near her bed in the sanctuary, trying to get herself to march out there and demand a contract. She had to take the leap or all the trust and bonding she'd done with each of them in her own way meant nothing. She would always be able to recon, Nazir taught her well and she was of value to them in that way but there was always the fear that Astrid would drop her had she not been able to carry out her will.

Gathering every ounce of courage she held, the woman started towards the entrance, only to be stopped by Astrid herself. "There you are." She offered a comforting smile. "I found a contract for you, Gweneith." She pulled out a small booklet, handing it over. "Nazir did recon on them already. We both agree this is a good place to start. It is in Riften."

Her face was aglow, before Riften was mentioned that is. She took the booklet, looking into Astrid's eyes. The woman saw the fear and hurt in the red orbs. Her mouth was dry and she noticeably shook. "The... Rift?"

"Yes. Is that a problem?"

Her mouth opened, looking at Astrid. Her thoughts were on everything she knew about the woman up to this point. She closed her mouth and shook her head, determined to do as told. "No." Astrid seemed to be testing her again. She longed to make the woman proud. No matter if she were a real mother to her or not, or using her or not, Astrid had in some ways saved her. She was apart of this family now and what was good for the family was good for her. It was a small contract, she hadn't even had to talk to the contractor, it would all be handled by Nazir. All she had to do was kill the person. "Of course not. I will go prepare." She gave a curt nod and walked past Astrid, head held high. More confident than their first meeting but not as confident as she could be, Gweneith opened the book to the beautiful script of Nazir. It was a joy to read his embellishments. She learned a lot from him in that regard. She stopped by the door, just before emerging into Falkreath woods. Her eyes scanned the short entries only to find nothing. Nothing at all that made this woman worth the trouble of killing let alone deserving of it. Her heart bottomed out as she rereads it once more and no amount of feelings or thoughts Nazir left her in the book made her feel any better about this.

She had to do it though. She was resolved. As she slipped out the door, Nazir looked up the stairs at her fading shadow. "Astrid... Are you certain?"

"She can do it. Do you not think so?"

"Do I think she can handle her fear and go to the rift? Yes. Do I think she can kill people? Yes. Do I think she has it in her to kill someone she thinks is innocent? Not yet."

"She will." Astrid looked to him with a calm smile. "We are her family now, you made sure of it. She will do it." Nazir gave an uncommitted shrug, both of them now going their own way.

The icy chill tickling her skin was not from the cold. In fact it was a rather warm day. Being anywhere in this hold gave her the jitters now. The woman hugged herself close, still getting used to donning the red and black of the brotherhood. At least it was not far off from her skins, and Babette was good with sewing. She of course helped, spending time with someone so old but forever young was good for her own soul. It was slightly too tight in the chest area, forcing her breath to be just a hair more labored that she wanted, but how could she complain? It was made with love and she would wear it with a certain reverence.