Listen to Me

Gweneith sat in the sanctuary in an empty bed she did her best to make her own. It had been terribly lonely for her in the last month. She had gotten time with the guild, yes but now she was regulated to the sanctuary while Mercer and Brynjolf look into the bill of sale. She was asked for by Maven, yet Brynjolf was keeping her name hidden from the woman. There was a part of her that found his desire to protect her dashing. The other part wanted to yell at him and a final part wanted to sulk in her sorrow in the corner.

She felt like that last bit of her won, through no fault of her own. Iszara had become a decent friend, during this last month taking her out on kills now and then and sometimes even to just explore a dungeon. As much as she complained about it, she quite liked that part. Aside from the redguard giving her 'advice'. Iszara had a way of attracting attention, she got it from her fool and usually those in love with it to be spread for all around them. Astrid tried to speak to her about it, but the woman was like a cannonball. She would keep going no matter the quality of stone placed in front.

She thought they were a strange match as well. The jester and her. They were quite a sight to see around, pining after one another. The thought had crossed her mind that quite a few people likely also thought this about poor Brynjolf. He bared his soul to her and confessed love. It made her insides twist and turn in pain. He was wasting his time, she felt she was indeed hopeless. But Iszara and Cicero... That matter to her was another story. The pair happened to be cute together at the dinner table. Each tale of harrowing bloodshed and triumph in the face of overwhelmingly horrid odds they shared brought them closer together.

Of course Astrid didn't see it that way. She said it was a bad omen. So she set into motion a plan to use Iszara to see what he was really up to, in that room, talking to someone. She was only singled out of this witch hunt for a traitor because Astrid heard him talking to someone while Gwen was passing and Iszara was out of the home. Astrid walked to her now, touching her foot and the woman looked up from a book, with a raised brow. "Good. You're here and not off with your boy toy."

"I have no boy toy, Astrid." She earmarked the book, sliding it onto the nightstand before sitting up.

"I was only joking, Gweneith. I know. He would do well to drop it. After what you've delt with I would feel the same as you." She sat down beside her. "Look, I am not too close with Iszara and in spite of your rocky start, you've redoubled your efforts to get to know her and it worked. I need you. Tell her to spy on him."

"Well, that is harsh even for you." She shook her head. "I mean, don't get me wrong. You saved me in more ways than one and I would do anything you ask, I'm just questioning the logic behind this. Wouldn't she be the worst one to send? If he was doing something..."

"If he was, Gwen, he would be kicked out or put to death. She would put a stop to that and she is also the only one that I am confident will not be harmed if found out." Gwen rolled her eyes, knowing that she is the most likely one to be found out as well. Even still, Astrid had a point. "You just know how to connect with her better than I do."

"Meaning she follows orders but dislikes them so you have asked me to ask a favor." Astrid nodded as Gwen stood up out of her bed. "That is fine." The women exchange a vastly different smile and then go about their day.

Iszara had come home late into the afternoon, to Gwen sitting at the map table, writing in a journal. The woman looked up to the armor clad assassin. "Hey. You look... Surprisingly well."

"Sure do Gwen!" She was chipper. It had become increasingly harder for Gwen to not feel something around the woman. "I got some rabbit on the way home."

"Nice. They will cook up in a stew real nice and it has been slightly cold."

"Oh, Gwen. It is only cold when you refuse to embrace what you have."