Inferno

Brynjolf looked over the small map once more, the dim lights of the Cistern were wearing on the man. Something about Gweneith being gone for so long seemed to sway his mood. He knew why, of course, but he didn't want to say it aloud. Everyone here had already made subtle comments about how stupid the man was, telling a woman he was in love with her after only a few weeks, they didn't need help. He stood up from the map with a sigh, wondering why he allowed himself to do that at all. He knew she was not ready to hear it and yet he said it anyway.

She had been gone for longer than he spent time with her. That single kiss they shared was going to make appearances in his dreams for a while. Mercer walked behind him, chuckling. "Pining over her again? It's a good thing she didn't come back." He looked to the map. "She isn't joining, so she's not bound to our rules, Brynjolf. She is also a killer. And an Elf. Did we need another one in our midst?"

"She's not like that." His head whipped to Mercer, brows furrowed. "She is not like that at all."

"I feel like you are just putting her on a pedestal. He shook his head. "Which is dangerous. Look, she has a decent-ish head on her shoulders and she does know things we don't when it comes to not being seen, but she pretty much dropped off some tips and split. That is the best thing that really could have happened." Mercer placed his hand on the desk, turning to Brynjolf who was easing slowly albeit hesitantly. "Listen, I'm saying this because I care. She's not coming back. This was just a distraction for her. We're your family and she was just a girl, right? We don't need her."

Brynjolf looked down, chewing on his cheek for just a moment. "I didn't need her, Mercer, I wanted her. A love that you need isn't love. But, yeah. I probably ran the lass off. I was stupid for telling her so soon. Just when I looked at her I couldn't help it."

"Ah, well. You have never been a fool about many things. I suppose it was time. Tell you what. We will do the goldenglow job tomorrow, so tonight we will hit the Bee and you can forget about her. That woman that now runs the orphanage, I mean, she is pretty cute, right?"

Brynjolf looked to him with a soft, sorrowful look. He watches Mercer snake an arm around his shoulder and start to pull him along. "Not... Really."

Mercer laughed. "Well no matter, you just need to bang the other one right out of your head." They walked to the trap door together. Brynjolf just went with the flow, knowing that Mercer wouldn't relent until he went out drinking with the man. "After you." The man exhaustedly climbed, then pulled the chain out of reflex.

"Shit!" Brynjolf looked up, watching someone jump from the sliding stone to solid ground. His eyes widened, knowing by the way she moved it was Gweneith. The figure stumbled, then fell with a harsh thump. He ran up the stairs, looking down to the black cape that surrounded the woman. He leaned down, helping her to roll over, seated on the cold ground. His eyes met hers, soft reds curiously looking at him buried under messy bangs on blond.

"Lass..." He was both hopeful and fearful in the same breath. "You can't stand on the rock." He breathed out a sigh of relief. "I would have caught you, but it won't always be me."

"I was looking for the button. Then well... I found it but sort of just stared at it for a while. I was nervous about seeing you... Because I-" Gweneith looked up into his eyes. Her eyes flicked behind him, seeing Mercer emerge up through the hole. Their eyes met for a split second and she saw a hint of anger in them. "I should go. I..." She scrambled to her feet, dusting the dirt off the thieves guild armor she still wore. "You were busy with guild business. Mercer is here so it was probably pretty important."

"It is." He spoke behind Brynjolf, with a gruff stern voice. "Thank you for understanding." He watches Brynjolf stand up, turning to him and mouthing words the man did not seem to care too much about. "Always good to see you, though. I'm sure Delvin will want to send his regards to Astrid."