Longest Night

The Cistern was bustling, and Karliah was zooming around, gathering what she felt they would need. Brynjolf was watching her curiously and Gwen was watching him. Looking on at the man, she felt her heart beat a few times, then she turned from her own gaze. She felt a hand clasp onto her newly healed shoulder. "Hey, Lass... are you okay?"

"I... I will be." She spat out swiftly.

"No. Not 'will be'. How are you now?"

She looked to him, the man's face twisted into concern and care. He was good at that. She eased a little more on his bed. After a moment she nodded. "Swearing my soul to... guard a temple. I just... Brynjolf..."

"I know..." He chuckled. "It's a lot."

She narrowed her eyes, looking to him, the man beaming at her. "Then why do you seem so okay with it? Almost happy?"

He rubbed the back of his head, then took in a deep breath. "Ah... Nothing gets past you." He averted his eyes from her for but a moment. Working up courage around her was never easy, but it was getting to the point that he could do it without so much worry. "I am okay with it Gweneith. Our lifespans... I went into this knowing that I will always leave first. Just like I went into this knowing your feelings. We will be separated by vast oceans of not only time but whatever the whims of gods and demons around us, or circumstances that happen to us while we try to navigate this life be it together or alone." She stared at him intently. He had thought about this far more than she ever had, or ever guessed he could.

It was a little embarrassing, to think that he had been thinking about this the whole time while she had been living in the moment. It was already bad enough that everything happening made her feel so selfish, learning that he cared this much was not only a miraculous revelation but a humbling bit of knowledge, with her own feels so cloaked from the world and sometimes herself. He noticed her baited breath and continued. "It was all so murky. Lass, not knowing what would happen... Was killing me. But now... Now Gwen, I know where I will end up. That spot is also right next to you. How can I be anything but okay with that? Everything is crystal clear. In the light of that context, guarding a temple for all eternity doesn't seem so bad."

She let it all sink in. Everything he said, the meaning behind the words and that look in his eyes all made her melt. She swallowed softly, then without a word moved. Her arms moved around his neck, loose at first then tightened around him to the point that the pair wobbled and he fell back on his bed. The man was careful to ease her down so she didn't hurt her stomach. She was much better but not one hundred percent yet. His hands moved to her lower back as she inadvertently grinds her body into his while lying on the man. "G... Gwen?"

She hushed him, then placed her hands on his chest, pushing herself off of him for a moment. She gazed softly into his eyes, her lips light and curled into a caring smile. "Brynjolf. That was beautiful. You... Really feel like that?" He was tugging at every heart-string she had. The man nodded firmly, looking up to her. His hand moved to her cheek, brushing it gently with the tips of his fingers. She realized in that moment just how precious she was to the man. Her chest was heated through, then she lay down once more, pressing her lips to his.

The man was surprised for just a moment, then he relaxed into the kiss, closing his eyes and allowing her to take control. It didn't last long, she pulled her lips from his, lidded eyes looking down to him. "Brynjolf..." Her voice was a soft moan.

"Yes, Gwen?" His voice was soft. He was patient and would wait for years for her to formulate her own feelings if need be. What she went through was not something to rush through processing. He was going to refuse to let her feel as if she owed him anything as well. "You can tell me anything. Whatever it is I can take it." He whispered.